The Effects of Peer Pressure on Teenagers | Teen Ink

The Effects of Peer Pressure on Teenagers

March 1, 2019
By itsmyaaa BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
itsmyaaa BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


                                    The Effects of  Peer Pressure on Teenagers

One of the most hardest times of your life is probably your teenage years. You go through alot like your first real relationships, your first heartbreak and many more stuff.

Just about 90% of teenagers say that they have experienced or have witnessed peer pressure. Peer pressure is very common for teenagers and very young adults. Peer pressure is the influence of one’s peers peer group which basically means the persuasion on teens by their friends and people around the same age group as them.

Peer pressure can cause depression which could lead to a more harmful issue like suicidal thoughts and harm your body and all sorts of other things. Peer pressure begins to influence people at an early age and it increases through your teenage years. Recent studies find that peer pressure affects the way our brains work. Things like that could affect you for the rest of your life. It is relevant to people but mostly teens, because teens tend to place people on a popularity scale and most people want to be in that number one spot.

In my opinion peer pressure is a very damaging issue that everyone needs to take more seriously. According to “Education Media” nine out of ten teenagers are affected by peer pressure, that is a very high percentage of people going through this hard path of life. I, myself know how it feels to be a teenager because i am one myself. This situation is really no joke. Many teenagers are killed yearly by the depression and other consequences of peer pressure.

In order to resolve this problem teens need to stop forcing all this pressure on each other and learn to accept people for who they are not what they wear or what they look like. Stop trying to fit in with your “friends” just because they do something and you don’t. Think of ALL the possible consequences for your actions before you do it so you won’t have to suffer after you did something just to fit in.