What Does School Really Teach? | Teen Ink

What Does School Really Teach?

By JohnTasci BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey
JohnTasci BRONZE, Paramus, New Jersey

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will lives its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You’re a student inside a class with 20 students. The teacher is talking and writing on the board and you have no idea what he/she are talking about. Welcome to the life of a student where they go from Pre-K up to 12th grade. 14 years of school sounds too much…. Doesn’t it? Then we have to go to college to study what we “want.” So it’s actually 18 years and we don’t master any skill. Is it time for a change?

Let’s get right to the point. Modern day schooling won’t get you prepared for life and it doesn’t guarantee success either. In an article by Lucinda Shen it explains, “About three out of 10 billionaires—29.9%—around the world did not have at least a bachelor's degree in 2015, according to a billionaire census by Wealth-X. That’s 739 out of the total 2,473 billionaires.” The statistics don’t lie. Three out of 10 billionaires is a lot, for not having a degree. Although, the majority have some sort of degree, they too don’t think it’s important or haven’t used it. For example, Elon Musk received an economic degree and a physics degree, but went on to make PayPal? Then he went on to be the founder of SpaceX(they make reusable rocket ships to go from earth to mars). According to the article, “ Musk borrowed Cantrell's college textbooks on rocketry and propulsion and got reading, eventually being able to recite from memory books like "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics," and the "International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems." This shows that he was committed to his goal and worked his butt off to get there. Of course, that’s not for everyone which brings me to the next point.

Not everyone wants to be an entrepreneur or go the tough way in life. For that person a college degree would be better. WRONG! Well, it depends on the field you’re studying. If you’re going to be a doctor, I expect you to go to college and get your degrees to perform the action. On the other hand, for example, programmers don’t need a college degree. In today’s world the internet has grown majorly and everything you need could be found there. Online courses or blogs with information could provide more knowledge than a traditional 4-year degree. You’re most certainly not guaranteed a job when you get a degree. Companies only look for skills you acquired and what value you bring in. If you look at it, college is VERY expensive. According to the article,”According to the US Department of Education, the average annual cost of public school increased 6.5 percent each year over the last decade. That means that by 2030, annual public tuition will be $44,047. The total cost for a four-year degree will be more than $205,000.” Those numbers are staggering and you don’t even get a room and a board! The cost of public tuition in 2030 looks to be the same as current ivy schools. Imagine how much it would be in 2030. Probably $120,000 yearly. Having to deal with student loan is a pain the back and even if you declare bankruptcy the debt won’t go away! Although it is very expensive, it is an addition to your resume to show that you’ve been part of a top ranked college. However, you shouldn’t jump into the bandwagon just because it’s a top name school.

Another point is experience. Albert Einstein famously quoted, “Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.” A person with more experience will win 99% of the time. If I read books about business for 5 years and still didn't start a business, compared to a person who has been running a business for 5 years. Who do you think wins? Of course the one with the experience because what do people look for, success or knowledge. Most of the time it’s success and experience because they are inspired by that person being able to perform their dreams and seeing their failure and what they’ve been able to accomplish. If you read a textbook for 12 years you won’t gain any experience. Right? Then what does school really teach? From my perspective, I see that it teaches you to learn and not take action. It may sound silly, but school seems to be teaching too much. For example, I’m starting my business, but first I decided to take a course on AP microeconomics so I know what to do after 10 years. The strategy is complete baloni and will be forgotten. You should learn and take action at the same time. You learned how to make simple code? Test your skills by making a simple app then move forward on to making more complex apps step by step. Although I’m against school, many people achieve great success with their high grades, but it seems that the most successful people have similar characteristics and mindset.

Should your success be measured by a letter? Everyone has a different point in school and it is truly hard to convince everyone. At the end, just because you got good grades doesn’t mean you’re going to be the best. The best are made, not born. So, you should pursue your passion and fail until you win by using your extra time to learn the things you want. That is how true success is measured, not by a letter.