Ineffectiveness of SATS | Teen Ink

Ineffectiveness of SATS

May 31, 2019
By Anonymous

In my opinion, I don’t believe that taking the SAT will be beneficial to those who want to go to college since their scores shouldn’t reflect them as a person more than their grades. Schools should change the way they handle their students classes by letting their students take college-level classes rather than take general ed lower classes. Since remarkably the students would have a higher chance of getting accepted to college since they wouldn’t have to be worried about their SAT scores.


Although some help may be offered to these type of students, still some are afraid to ask and unfortunately, they end up just not taking it. During the end of the first semester in 9th grade, freshman along with sophomores, and juniors are informed by teachers and administration to take the PSAT, which are practice SATS for those who want to get an idea of what the SAT is actually like. Some freshman will sign up for it and attend the PSATS, however, some high school students are completely uninformed on what the PSATS, or even what the SATS are. Students with low-income families can’t afford extra tutoring, or help with the PSAT, or SAT they end up being discouraged throughout and have no motivation for it. This results in a students not taking the exam, making their college choices difficult. Many of them that come from low-income families can’t afford tutoring to advance their knowledge with the test since it’s a big factor towards their percentage of passing the SAT.


Another point, on why the SAT is ineffective is the high tense of anxiety a student can experience from a big standardized test. The amount of anxiety increases each year from big exams, like the SAT. Some students don’t even realize how important their GPA matters more than this exam. Your high school grades matter more because colleges and universities see how well you did throughout your 4 years of high school.  Therefore, the SAT is very ineffective because it causes students to develop anxiety to extreme levels, the students not having much wealth to have more tutoring, and students not realizing their GPA matters more.


Not only the percentage of students going to college will increase, but so will the increase of students having anxiety. Over the years the SAT test has been dramatically changed with more complex questions to challenge students taking it. The more difficult the test is going to be, the more anxiety the student will have which is a negative factor with their mentality although they have time to practice, it’s still stressful for them to think about. Students who don’t have English as their primary language are more likely to have anxiety while taking their SAT and failing due to the improvement made recently. The hard work put into studying ends up as a waste of time for something that isn’t going to be gone over.

       

My second major reason on why the audience should believe my thesis is about how the SAT is useless for college applications in a sense that, the SAT is just to see how well you can do on your test rather than a way to get accepted to college with your SAT score which is the opposite of what majority of what schools do. The SAT is ineffective, biased, and fails to truly measure the intellect of students. All in all, the SAT should be made optional or removed entirely from the college admissions process.


The majority of colleges do not go over the SAT’s which is obviously unnecessary, so if a student were to apply to a community college, the community college wouldn’t even go over the SAT results. The lack of going over the results is just wasting lots of the student’s time, and effort that they had put into their work. Students from a higher income family and better education have a better chance of passing the SAT than a student that comes from the opposite background. Since both students with different backgrounds are both likely to do the SAT with the college not acknowledging their results.


My third major reason on why the audience should believe my thesis is that a student's high school grade matters more than their SAT scores, due to their transcript showing how well they do in their classes during their four years of high school. A GPA matters more than their SAT scores since their grades in high school are more accurate than their SAT scores, which don’t get to be gone over in the future. A GPA also can be valid for graduation as well, not only does a GPA evaluate how a student does in high school but also, it shows maybe students improvement. Students high school GPA is by far more important and accurate than the SAT scores.


While student’s think about the SAT coming up they don’t take the time to realize their high school achievements and hard work that they have done over the past year. The number of time students take studying over the SAT, could be used into volunteering, studying for other classes, and this is what shapes a person’s character.


Overall, there are already some colleges that have the SAT optional and have modified testing policies which include accepting students AP scores. Some colleges have come to the conclusion that the SAT’s don’t accurately determine a students intelligence and whether or not they will be successful in college. The colleges who have the SAT optional, have done research and have seen the dramatic reasons why they are believed to be ineffective.


Even though this is a really big deal towards school communities and colleges, I believe that if we continue to keep believing on what we talk about that it is possible for their to be a change on whether or not SAT scores will be accepted later on in the future to accurately test a student’s successful life in college.  Colleges have now seen that many people struggle with anxiety, or possibly could encounter with it, students not being able to do other activities or study for their high school assignments, as well as realizing that students need more extra activities which shapers their character.


The author's comments:

I'm a highschool student, I'm 16 and in 11th grade. I just want everyone to know my opinion, I wrote this as an assignment for my Honors English class.