WHY DO TEENAGERS NEED TO MOVE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS’ PROBLEMS? | Teen Ink

WHY DO TEENAGERS NEED TO MOVE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS’ PROBLEMS?

By mgeorge19 BRONZE, Melbourne, Other
mgeorge19 BRONZE, Melbourne, Other

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

- Martin Luther King

Since 2008, I have moved schools three times. This wasn’t originally the plan. While I was in a primary school in Singapore, my mum was going to buy a house, but after hearing how I was having trouble coping with the coursework, she decided to move my sister and me to Australia. I moved again in year 7 due to the travel distance from home to school. That is how I ended up in my current school.

The effects on teens when moving to a new school can affect them in many different ways. It can affect their grades. It increases their stress levels and they might have to build up their social skills again as they may have become weak.

This particularly will have an effect on their grades as a result of they may be accustomed completely different study system and so not had best with their grades as they may not have learnt concerning the subject before or may need however in a very different structure.  As a result of this, their mindset could as far back as six months.

Moving your teenagers from one college to a different might college increase their stress levels over the strain that they were experiencing in their last college. This is as a result of the work that they received may be due following lesson that reciprocally they need to dedicate most of their time to end the work in addition to this, some teachers provide homework to their students daily. Which adds to their homework list and also adds to their stress levels due to the amount of homework they get. These types of stress could even lead to anxiety, depression or maybe if their stress is severe, they could have chronic stress. From between 2009-10 and 2014-15 American Psychological Association (APA) did a survey and found that 61% of students have anxiety, depression (49%), stress (45%), family issues (31%), academic performance (28%) and family problems (27%).

Another effect of teenagers is how they might be discouraged on the first few days to socialize with their classmates. It can cause emotional and behavioural problems which could, in turn, create setbacks and problems for them each time they keep moving schools. According to Stage of Life. Com, it states that 1 out of 2 teens has personally experienced some depression and anxiety.  They would at least take at least a few weeks to get used to their new school and to build up their confidence to talk to people and to make friends with others.

So, parents, try to not move your teenagers continuously especially in high school. Please keep in mind that the effects your child will have to go through before they get used to the school and make friends. So, don’t have very high expectations for your child during the first few weeks. As for teenagers who just moved schools, don’t push yourselves too hard, because it could be you who could to be ending up with the effects which could really impact you in a negative way, not your parents.

In relation to this topic, since 2008 I have moved schools three times.