Standardized tests should not exist | Teen Ink

Standardized tests should not exist

June 5, 2019
By FLEXO BRONZE, Mamaroneck, New York
FLEXO BRONZE, Mamaroneck, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I think state test should be abolished, it’s unnecessary stress, and it does not even count as a gade. Testing us to test the school is just plain stupid, many are at different academic levels making the tests inconsistent.


we spend several weeks preparing for the test while during that time we could be doing or learning things more important such as speech writing or how to persuade people. Tests are also unfair to non-English speakers and to students with disabilities since they have to take the test everyone else takes. This also may affect the results of the test making them unreliable. Younger students may have severe stress because of these tests, they may even vomit or cry says education researcher Gregory J. Cizek.


We should, however,  see how well teachers and schools teach, but there are better and less intrusive ways to do that. One of these options are  “stealth assessments” NPR says that many companies that sell software for learning such as Khan Academy and scholastic argue there software shows which skills students have mastered and how quickly they learn. They are also much less time consuming, take the anxiety out of testing, and are much more cost efficient. So the state could tell teachers to give us an assessment on one of these and we wouldn't even know. How nice would that be?


Taking a State test is like being in prison for three hours while having the flu. They make you feel stressed, anxious and for younger kids physically ill. You can’t leave the hot, quiet room, you can’t use the bathroom and you can’t leave early if you finish. We need to end state tests now and start evaluating schools in a better way so that kids never need to get nervous about such a pointless thing.

 

 

 

Sources standardizedtests.procon.org/


npr.org/sections/ed/2015/01/06/371659141/what-schools-could-use-instead-of-standardized-tests


The author's comments:

this piece is lit.