Differences | Teen Ink

Differences

Dear Journal,

2/20/09

I think that guys have life much easier. I believe part of this is because girls gossip a lot more. While guys still have problems the positives outweigh the negatives. In my mind girls have life much harder.

One problem for girls is cliques. There are probably over 50 cliques in our building alone. Some cliques are “open” meaning they aren’t exclusive. Others feel a need to label, stereotype, and bully. Guys have two groups jocks, and the "others."

Girls tend to gossip. Gossiping normally changes as it travels. Girls constantly have to deal with this if they do something against the stats quo. Guys however rarely gossip about others unless something is a big deal.

Weight is a huge problem for girls. So much that some will starve themselves or induce vomiting. Guys don’t worry about weight until they become noticeably overweight. Only a small percent of boys are anorexic or bulimic.

Those are just a few reasons why I think girls have it harder than guys. We can only hope that someday these problems for girls will change, as well as disappear for guys. Even though it would be nice to have a world without gossip, its nobodies job to change the world.

Beachgirl1 PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"If You Don't Fight Back, You've Already Lost."
"Don't suppress Laughter, it goes to your thighs."

you are absolutely correct. i am a girl and believe me, life is a mess :)

this is also very well written, and i wish we could all stop gossiping, but gossiping is first supplyed by actions (usually mean) so if we stop those actions, we stop the gossip. 

and i love the last paragraph of your piece, it is great