Should Homework be banned is schools across America | Teen Ink

Should Homework be banned is schools across America

By Mark-K BRONZE, Downers Grove Il, Illinois
Mark-K BRONZE, Downers Grove Il, Illinois

Failure is not the opposite of success is a part of success

Did you know that 59% of American students say that they have too much annoying homework, and 82% say they are either often, or always stressed by schoolwork? (Stanford University, 2014) This is one of the many reasons why homework should be banned in schools because of all the negative effects it has on students. Homework can have adverse downsides such as stress and anxiety (Pro/con). As stated by Stanford University, “too much homework can lead to sleep deprivation.” When students get less sleep, they start having a harder time focusing and engaging in class. And although completing homework can help students learn to be more responsible. Although this may be true, is it worth the stress and anxiety caused by homework? According to a Stanford University Professor, “an average student spends 3.1 hours a day on completing their homework.” If students have after-school sports, they will have reduced time to get their homework done which can lead to late homework assignments. Since this is the case, there is absolutely no reason why students should be given homework. 

Homework can also take time away from things that matter like friends and family. An example of this is when parents say, “their kids don’t have enough time to go play with their friends, and spend important time with our family.” This is all a result of students being so tangled in obnoxious homework. Moreover, a professor from Boston University stated, “an average teen should be getting anywhere from 3-5 hours of socialization. This is important because according to (JMIR Health) If the US banned homework in schools, students would have a lot more time to hang out with their friends. 

Even with all that, homework does not even help young students and high schoolers. To go along with this, a study conducted by Boston University has found out that the grades and academics of students in both elementary, and high school have nothing to do with homework. This shows that homework does nothing but cause stress in students' lives. Another example of this is that over half of the world's students experience homework-related stress. This is one of the many causes of stress because of homework. If the homework was gone, so would be most of the school-related stress. 

All in all, Homework should be banned in schools nationwide because of all the negative effects it has on children. If homework was banned, you would immediately see all the positive effects that take place.