Don't Say Gay? Don't Pretend Gay! | Teen Ink

Don't Say Gay? Don't Pretend Gay!

By martinana_0805 GOLD, Nanjing, Other
martinana_0805 GOLD, Nanjing, Other

Fake it till you make it.

The phrase "Don't Say Gay" was coined in 2022 and is considered extremely offensive to the LGBTQ community. However, something even more troubling has emerged: straight individuals are pretending to be a part of the LGBTQ.

When my friend and senior student M. first told me about his gay identity, I commended him for having the courage to come out. He later publicly declared his identity on social media, which garnered a lot of attention. After conducting extensive research in gender studies, he was eventually admitted to the University of Pennsylvania.

However, what happened next was more than strange.

M. found a girlfriend and changed his major from Gender Studies to Applied Mathematics. When I asked him about these sudden changes, he admitted that his coming out was simply a ploy to bolster his college application. I felt deceived and accused M. of being dishonest, but he explained that adopting this identity was a common tactic among Chinese students seeking admission to prestigious colleges. "What's the big deal?" he shrugged.

It seems that coming out as LGBTQ has become a new shortcut to success. Colleges admit LGBTQ students each year for political reasons, which creates a loophole. "Saying Gay" is no longer just about being proud of one's identity; it has become a way to construct a personality that aligns with a college's demand for diversity.

I feel sorry for those who fake their LGBTQ identity. They fail to comprehend how hard their predecessors fought for the right to love without restrictions. By treating it as a joke, they show disrespect to the LGBTQ community. This is even more hurtful than "Don't Say Gay," because they are saying gay and then betraying gay.

This is adapted from a real story that happens around me. I feel sorry for this guy here. He could have been admitted with his ability, but the method applied here is disgraceful. 

Some people cannot understand LGBTQ or don't accept them. But buying or not, respect is the only and sole request for all.