Why I Want to Be an English Teacher | Teen Ink

Why I Want to Be an English Teacher

By CadiBriley SILVER, Robinson, Illinois
CadiBriley SILVER, Robinson, Illinois

"One day or day one. It's your decision."

There are many careers to choose from, so why would I want to be an English teacher? Teachers help provide numerous opportunities for students to learn valuable life skills and encourage them to be themselves. Teachers can create huge influences on students and their way of viewing the world. My life and life decisions have been majorly influenced by the teachers I have had. I might even go as far as to say, my life has continued because of them.

Not only do teachers help kids academically learn, but they also help students learn basic morals and values. When a teacher is standing up for a student in the case of bullying, the students will follow by example. This will create a more positive environment, which students will carry with them wherever they go. Thus creating an environment that students will be more likely to succeed in. This skill to influence is not only used in cases of bullying but also used with —-. I want to be able to change some students’ lives by setting a good example for them.

Although teachers influence a student’s general behavior and academic performance, they can also benefit one’s mental health. A teacher’s job isn’t just to tell students what to do; a teacher is also supposed to provide a safe space for students. As Omolara Gbadamosi said in an article they wrote in July 2016, “Within the school environment, the classroom is a child’s home. It represents the family unit. Teachers are like parent(s) at school who can help children develop and enjoy socio-emotional stability.” Teachers provide a safe environment for students just by listening to them. I know how important it can be to have just one person to listen, and sometimes a teacher may be the only one to hear them. Knowing I could provide that security for a child is why I want to be a teacher. 

The reason I want to specifically teach English is because of the creativity that can flow from it. English can provide a sense of enlightenment for students who enjoy it. Students can also use writing as a form of expression or coping. One example is poetry. Many artists and authors have expressed their thoughts and emotions through poetry. Students may also use writing to express deeper trauma they may not talk about. If you ask them to tell a story or event that impacted them, they may unknowingly expose a cry for help. English is a way of expression and a form of communication that is useful in everyday life. Therefore why I want to teach English.

Teaching a student anything can have a dramatic effect on them. English however, provides more of an outlet to the students and is more expressive than most other subjects. I want to be an English teacher not only to help educate students but also to change their lives and leave an impact.