How to 'Get Rich Quick' in 2023 | Teen Ink

How to 'Get Rich Quick' in 2023

June 2, 2023
By Anonymous

If you think posting 15-second Tiktok's will make you a millionaire overnight, you are wrong. Professionals at Oberlo.com stated that 25% of all influencers had built a brand around their name that generates more than $10,000 a year. $10,000 is highly underwhelming compared to how influencers promote themselves on social media. 


$10,000 is almost six times less than the average salary in the U.S. of $56,420, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. 


The question then becomes, why do so many people want to become influencers? The answer is simple; people want to get rich quick. In reality, your favorite Instagram influencer's Lamborghini is a rental, and that mansion they live in is an Airbnb.


 As a society, we have resorted to desperate measures to satisfy our wants and needs. This has led to a hindered generation of Youtuber-wanna-bes. If this "get rich quick" scam works, I would understand why people would reject conventional ways of earning a living in America. 


However, there is a strong correlation between education level and income. Higher education provides the ability to earn a higher income. The average American with a high school diploma earns roughly $40,000. With a bachelor's degree, the average income becomes $80,500, according to Motley Fool. Education provides a solid foundation for critical thinking, reasoning, and knowledge in various professions. 

As a high school senior pursuing higher education, I had been on many tours and did extensive research to find the best university for me. On one particular tour, a college professor told me that what separates you from others in your expertise is everything you learn and the knowledge you acquire unrelated to your field of study. Education encourages personal growth and helps one become a well-rounded individual, let alone increasing your potential earnings. 


No child dreams of joining "the rat race" or climbing the corporate ladder when they grow up. But, the likelihood of someone thriving financially is rare without higher education. Many argue that Bill Gates, Elon Musk, and Steve Jobs didn't attend college, yet they still succeeded incredibly. All three billionaires still pursued learning and knowledge to become experts in their fields. Luckily, they had a big payoff, although this is sometimes true. Yes, their pursuit of education was unconventional but still proves that education is essential for earning a high income. 


Just because you chose to go to college and get a job in your field of study does not mean you have to work until you die. Being wise with your money, saving, and investing all contribute to early retirement in your 40s, 30s, or even 20s. 


Given that the average American with a high school education makes $40,000, the average annual expense for a single person is $40,849, noted in  (Nerd Wallet Magazine), and the average debt after graduating with a bachelor's degree is $34,100, according to (EducationData Initiative), let's do the math for two different choices in education.


Take Billy and Joe. Billy chose not to go to college and worked as a truck driver, earning a $40,000 salary right out of high school. On the other hand, Joe chose to go to college, earning $80,000 after receiving his bachelor's degree. Given his annual expenses and income, Billy barely makes enough to get through the year. After graduating, Joe is $34,100 in debt, earning $80,000 a year, while Billy has a couple thousand saved up after four years in the workforce.


The average time for an American to pay off student loans is ten years. With $34,100 in student loans, Joe is responsible for paying $3,410 a year. Given Joe's income, he is easily able to manage his debt. Joe also has the potential to pay off his student loans sooner instead of letting them accumulate interest. 


Both Joe and Billy learn about real estate investing at the same time. In five years, Joe was able to replace his disposable income by investing in assets to retire financially free, while Billy is unable to make significant contributions toward his investments and struggling to make ends meet. 


Learning about money and replacing your disposable income is a topic that I wish wasn't so "taboo" in school and incorporated into the high school curriculum. The lack of knowledge of money is the root of poverty. So, don't buy the 49.99 "get rich quick" course you saw on a YouTube ad. Invest in your education, invest in your future, invest in yourself.