Technology Usage in Classrooms | Teen Ink

Technology Usage in Classrooms

By Sneha_J BRONZE, Parsipanny, New Jersey
Sneha_J BRONZE, Parsipanny, New Jersey

The glow of screens illuminates the young minds of those lost within. Right here Classrooms today are more about the screens and less about the chalkboards. However, how do we know if the usage use of technology positively impacts makes students learning learn better? Transition needed, tTechnology has become the forefront of human life with and education being is one of the most impacted areas. Gone are the days of chalkboard instruction where students had no option but to focus on the motion of the chalk in the teacher’s hand, fostering focused attention and active learning. In the present era, classrooms are equipped with a plethora of technological devices, providing students with access to a variety of information for rapid and comprehensive learning. While technology undeniably brings a multitude of benefits to education, a growing body of evidence indicates that its presence in classrooms causes distractions, hindering students’ academic performance. The allure of devices and technology diverts students’ attention, raising concerns about the detrimental impact on their ability to concentrate and engage effectively.

One of the primary issues associated with technology usage in classrooms is the exponential increase in distractions. With access to the internet and various social media platforms and online games, students have an endless pool of entertainment at their fingertips. This is evidenced in a scenario observed by Natalie Wexer where a student, Kevinstudent Kevin, was found engaging in a distracting activity rather than focusing on the assignment. Natatlie Wexer, in an “MIT Technology Review” article, recounts the incident stating, “I returned to Kevin to see whether he had been able to combine 8 and 3. But I found he was drawing bright pink lines on the iPad with his finger - one of the gizmo’s numerous distracting capabilities.’Can you answer the question?’ I asked. ‘I don’t want to.’ he sighed. ‘Can I play a game?’ ” (Wexer). This situation with Kevin vividly demonstrates how the allure of technology’s interactive capabilities easily sidetracks students from focusing on schoolwork. Additionally, the constant temptation and availability of technology act as barriers to student focus and even information retention. In the article “GStyle Magazine: Adverse Effects of Technology in Education” it states, “...when students use technology to study, they can be easily distracted by feeds and notifications that pop out regularly. They might be willing to study, but when the distraction is too much, they lose concentration and miss the mark” (Adverse). This information shows that the mere presence of personal devices in the classroom hinders students from fully immersing themselves in school. Continuous disruptions fragment their attention, resulting in little understanding of the subject matter. Lastly, it was noted during an investigation conducted while walking through the halls of Brooklawn Middle School, an interesting conversation about cheating was heard. For example, one girl told her friend next to her, “ ‘Oh yeah, I found the answers to the Google form online.’ ” This incident raises concerns about academic integrity as many students can easily search for the answers to almost anything they are taught in school, thereby impacting the actual learning.  

Revisiting the issue, research consistently underscores the challenges posed by classroom technology use. Studies reveal that prolonged exposure to technology during learning hours contributes to reduced attention spans and decreases in academic performance among students. According to the “ National Library of Medicine” it reveals, “...studies have shown that excessive screen time and media multitasking can negatively affect executive functioning, sensorimotor development, and academic performance in later years” (Muppalla). This quote emphasizes the adverse impact of excessive screen time and media multitasking on students’ cognitive abilities and academic progress. Specifically, it highlights how extended screen exposure can impair executive functioning, which is crucial for tasks such as problem-solving, something students do every day in school. Furthermore, studies from “MIT Technology Review” research highlight that unguided use of technology in classrooms increases distractions, creating difficulties in students' critical thinking and information processing. Their study showed that students engaging in online games during study time scored lower on comprehension tests compared to others who were focused. This is important because it shows how unguided technology usage, particularly engaging in non-educational activities, hampers students’ ability to learn and retain information effectively. Finally, a questionnaire, stated in the article “Digital Distractions in Class Linked to Lower Academic Performance” was conducted by PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) which revealed that, “...65 percent of students in countries that are part of the OECD said they get distracted by using digital devices, and 59 percent reported getting distracted by other students who are using digital devices. These distractions show a strong correlation with lower academic performance, according to the report analysis. On average across OECD countries, students who said they were distracted by other students using digital devices in class in at least some math lessons scored 15 points lower in mathematics than those who reported that this never or almost never happens” (Langreo). Thus, tThese statistics further emphasize the pervasive nature of digital distractions and their negative impact on students’ academic performance. 

Ultimately, in an era where screens have taken center stage in education, the disruptive nature of excessive technology still stands as a poignant concern. The necessity emerges for a nuanced approach to technology integration - one that harnesses benefits while mitigating the distractions and cognitive drawbacks. Balancing engagement online with limitations is one way educators can help solve this issue. Thus, it is crucial to find the right balance between using technology and traditional teaching methods. This balance is vital for creating a future where education can flourish in our digital era.