Investigative Essay | Teen Ink

Investigative Essay

February 5, 2024
By Diya_P BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
Diya_P BRONZE, Parsippany, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Nat Turner once conveyed, “Good communication is the bridge between confusion and clarity.” Communication can make or break a relationship. One example where communication is vital is in schools. Teachers and students should have an interactive relationship. So, why are students often unfocused? This is happening at most schools, students are often found fidgeting and not concentrating on assignments. As a result, a teacher’s interactions with their students affects the student behavior and focused levels. 

To begin with, an investigation was conducted in Brooklawn Middle School to understand if students are focused and productive. The initial hypothesis was stated as: A greater amount of teacher interaction will allow the student to be more focused. For example, students in classes with no interaction were diverted from learning. In the investigation, the placid classrooms usually had teachers who were working independently. However, this does not indicate that the students were on topic and doing their work. When entering a classroom, it was found that some students were secretly using their phones to scroll through social media such as youtube or instagram. Other students were on their computers, although they were playing games (Observation). This demonstrates that, a little amount of attention can give the students a way to be distracted on their assignment. Due to this slight awareness, a student’s productivity declines resulting in academic loss.  A further classroom portrayed completely different results. In this classroom, a teacher encourages her students to have a class-wide discussion. As one student shares about his weekend, his peers are respectful to him throughout the conversation. The teacher replies “Ooh, that sounded like a fun weekend, anyone else?”(Observation). This proves that, interaction shows great behavior from the teacher and the students. The students are polite to their peers and the teacher listens to her students. Interaction also allows other students to share about themselves and build a relationship with their teacher and their peers. Along with that, one classroom had a teacher who was talking to her students and helping them with their assignment. The students were engaged in their work, without playing games or having inappropriate conversations (Observation).  Additionally, one room was incredibly quiet. The students were working on an english essay, they were not constantly typing. For most of the time, they were fidgeting with their hands and their hair. On one student's chromebook he wrote: I’M BORED, in big, bold, red letters (Observation).  Hence, torpid classrooms show uninterested students, while interactive classrooms show positive activeness. The students' computers and pencils are tired just like their bodies.  These findings led to changes in the original hypothesis: a teacher’s interaction with their students affects the students behavior and engagement. Overall, active classrooms have a better productivity level and etiquette than an inactive classroom. 

Furthermore, other studies conducted and interviews describe the pros of a positive student-teacher relationship. The article: “Positive Teacher-Student Relationships Lead to Better Teaching,” reveals the skills of a connection with a teacher. A study at the University of Michigan, asked their students to evaluate their teachers using 4 teaching styles. The 4 teaching styles include: “intellectual engagement, problem solving, helping students and creating an absorbing curriculum.”  Another survey was conducted asking students if they felt cared for by their teacher. According to the survey, Christi Bergin who works in the department of education claims that  “...the students who reported having more positive relationships with their teachers also reported that their teachers used more high-impact teaching practices”(Consiglio).  This information shows that, a connection with a teacher can lead to academic success and improvement. Students are more obtainable and comfortable asking queries to their teachers.  According to the text,  “The Importance of Student-Teacher Relationships,” involved learners are eager to learn because their teacher has met with their unique learning style (Fitzmorris). This evidence illustrates that, pupils are often stressed and pressured, trying to fit in and acquire knowledge the “right way.” This also shows that students stay on topic, since they understand the information better. They are frequently chased by questions, halted in their tracks because they are not comfortable asking them, and are rethinking about their decision.   Moreover,  an interviewer who teaches grade 8 explains that “Allow and encourage them to own their behavior, the good and not so good. Make every child feel important and relevant. Let them know their ideas are helpful and appreciated”(Fitzmorris). Thus, Scholars earn confidence with himself since they know that their ideas are valuable to others. They are more responsible, and they feel potent just like their educator. Therefore, positive student-teacher relationships can allow the student to achieve confidence with themselves as well as academic success. 

In conclusion, the behavior and productivity of a student is based on their relationship with a teacher. Classrooms where students are able to talk with their teachers demonstrates an increase in attentiveness and productivity.  Students earn self-worth, confidence, and academic achievement through these relationships. In the future, students’ self worth can degrade without proper communication. As a result, educators should make their students feel worthy of themselves and improve their students' academic performance.  Once again, the bridge to communication can fall or stand.