To Home-School, or Not to Home-School | Teen Ink

To Home-School, or Not to Home-School

March 18, 2010
By thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
67 articles 0 photos 336 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."


A lot of students from middle school and high school don't like going to school. Either they don't like to learn, they don't like the other students who go there, or they just don't like the overall environment. That is why home-schooling has been brought up numerous times, whether someone’s friend experiences it, one longs for it themselves, or even a parent insists upon it. With the economy suffering and some of the kids at school having a hard time fitting in, from the exterior, home schooling seems like the perfect solution. But when you really look at the situation, it’s really not ideal — for the student nor the parent.

If a student is struggling academically or they just don't like school in general, their friends are most likely the main reason why they don't have a temper tantrum before going to school each morning. Friends are an important part of a students life; it’s important for teens to experience having people they trust and rely on. Having a good friend teaches them something just as important as math or science. If a student or parent insisted on home schooling, he or she would miss a very vital aspect of growing up and they could potentially have issues making friends or fitting in when they’re older. Although being pulled from school on account of social reasons could solve the problem at that moment, it wouldn't disappear forever.

In the second place, being schooled at home isn’t the same as being taught at school when it comes to the academics. Most parents willing to step up to the plate aren’t qualified to teach their child the specific standards needed to be known during these years. Additionally, that parent isn’t being paid for this time-consuming job, which means that the entire family has to rely on only one income. Teachers at the school dedicate their time and money to teaching, while parents have other duties to worry about; for example: cooking, cleaning, and most importantly, parenting their child. They don’t have time to teach their daughter or son the needed curriculum, and even if they tried, it wouldn't be done nearly as well as the educated teachers at the schools.

In conclusion, deciding to home-school your child is not the best idea. When it comes to learning or making friends, leaving the student in school and letting them deal with their problems is better than pulling them out. Although it may be a difficult decision to make and agree on between the parents and a child, just remember this: No matter how far you run or where you hide, you can’t run away from yourself.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 20 comments.


on Dec. 6 2012 at 5:34 pm
IvyAnnxox BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
Though may I say your A very good writer.

on Dec. 6 2012 at 5:32 pm
IvyAnnxox BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
If A student is struggling acedemically being at home in a quiet safe from judgement enviroment would be the ideal learning space. As for friends there are a lot of groups for homeschooling. The child should be the main priority of any parents life. As for the parenting, I belive it is controlled a lot better when the child is homeschooled. I will admit that the one income thing dose get a little stressful at times, byt shouldn't having a close well-working family relationship be more important than having an excess of money? I actually had to giggle at your comment about parents not knowing what you need to teach your children. (: there are countless websites listing ciriculum for each grade level, not to mention books can be borrowed from a library for free. I am homeschooled. if i was in school i would be on an 8th grade level why i am studying at a 9th/10th grade level at the moment. i have countless friends and a 9th grade boyfriend who atteneds a local public school.   I myself am a example of why your argument is invalid.

on Aug. 2 2011 at 2:32 pm
ShontelleSymone GOLD, New Castle, Pennsylvania
15 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Are you chasing your dreams? Or are your dreams chasing you?" - Michelle Phan

People also forget that there are different types of homeschools. I think the one I am in is better because I have been in both publich school, and i am currently enrolled in a cyber school ( school on the computer). I have good teachers who take the time to help me with the little details that I may have trouble in via the computer or the phone. Statistics also show that we have a better education and we are more likely to succeed in college. And you know those stereotypes?  All  lies. I have friends, i have a great education, andI exercise a lot ( brazilian jiu jitsu for me, but you can do what you want and that counts towards gym class).

on Aug. 2 2011 at 2:27 pm
ShontelleSymone GOLD, New Castle, Pennsylvania
15 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Are you chasing your dreams? Or are your dreams chasing you?" - Michelle Phan

I went to a public school for a few years until I transferred to a cyber school ( school on the computer). Its not as bad a s people think. The work is more challenging, I actually learn stuff, The teachers actually give a flying crap about me and my education. Statistics show that we do better in college than kids in public schools. Also, the stereotype that we all are lazy and fat isnt true. Most of the kids that I see via web cam are a healthy weight for their age. I go to brazilian jiu jitsu, I have a kinect, wii, and I go out and hang with my friends. Come to find out, the friends that everyone says we miss out on in home school, turned on me! But that whole situation is off topic so lets go back to the topic.  Im home schooled, I have friends, I exercise, I eat right, I get good grades, and my school is a good school. 

on Oct. 31 2010 at 11:56 am
thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
67 articles 0 photos 336 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

thank you so much :)

ithinkican said...
on Oct. 31 2010 at 11:38 am
great write!

pieislife said...
on Oct. 31 2010 at 11:37 am
youre a great writer. even though people may not necessarily agree with the topic, it's undeniable that this was written well and intelligently

yesforyou said...
on Oct. 31 2010 at 11:36 am
i really like this! its definitely a controversial subject and you portrayed it very well

on Oct. 12 2010 at 9:05 pm
thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
67 articles 0 photos 336 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

i really liked your point of view. since this is an opinion piece, obviously there are going to be two sides to the argumemt. and i totally understand! in fact, i have friends that are home-schooled and they are great people, just a tad socially awkward. so that's where i got that piece of information from. but of course, as you pointed out, everyone is different. so thanks again for your feedback. i really enjoyed it!!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Oct. 10 2010 at 10:40 pm
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
48 articles 3 photos 606 comments

Favorite Quote:
"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Okay, to get this out in the open, I really liked this.  You're writing was very good. :)

 

But.... you aren't necessarily right.  I have NO idea what would happen if you took a "schooler" and homeschooled them.  But, as a long-time homeschooler, I can truthfully say, that there are occasions when homeschooling is better.  Yes, some parents are NOT qualified - I have some friends who are what we call "no-schoolers" - grocery shopping is math, etc.  But there are curriculums that are available to give the parents the facts and materials they need.  

 

As for the social aspect, it all depends on how you do it.  I have yet another set of friends that are the stereotypical "creepy unsocialized homeschoolers".  Truthfully, I tend to stay away from homeschool groups etc, because, as a whole, homeschoolers sort of scare me. :P  But, there is a flip-side to it.  It's just like the Luanne comic, where she is talking about wanting to be homeschooled, and her parents were talking about missing the social side, and the next picture was her being shunned by creepy guys and people smoking at the lockers and she is like "yeahh....".  lol I guess my point is, if you do activities (I am in Pony Club, Model UN, Fencing, Youth Group and a book-writing club) you can make friends without the negative social aspect, and it really boosts your self esteem.  In fact, I went on a cruise with my "schooler" cousin, and neither of us knew anybody, and I made more friends and had more fun because, when you can be selective and stick to people you like, you get really confident and sure of who you are.  

 

Once again, great writing, and I'm not saying I disagree with you (the homeschool convention I went to was terrifying I assure you), I'm just saying it's not always true, so if you meet a homeschooler, don't run away screaming (at least not right away! XD).

 

J7X


on Aug. 30 2010 at 9:17 pm
thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
67 articles 0 photos 336 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

Well I understand where you are coming from, and it has been easier for me to understand the concept after listening to your perspective. I am definitely not against your way of life because obviously everyone is different. I'm so glad that you are content with your life because that's really all that matters in the end!

Lucylou BRONZE said...
on Aug. 30 2010 at 7:03 pm
Lucylou BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
3 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Oh, I know this was an opinion piece, and I'm not upset at all. Really. I've been homeschooled all the way through, and people have pegged our 'community' with these stereotypes all my life. I've never actually seen them so neatly grouped together before, though. When I ever I'm in public and have committed a social faux pas or am ignorant about something, I often just tell people, "Hey, what can you expect. I'm homeschooled." And I shrug my shoulders. Without fail it always makes everyone crack up, because then they suddenly realize how ridiculous that excuse is. ;)

I'm not trying to be angry or upset or anything like that. And I know that you put a lot of time into that paper; you articulate your thoughts very well.  It's just that, from my perspective, you haven't heard the whole story. Any Home-schooler would laugh after reading about their parents being unqualified, missing out on friends, not meeting school standards, etc.. I've always wondered when going to school everyday for 8 hours became not just normal, but skipping it meant people view you as a social outcast. (I know you probably don't, bu a LOT of people do. Trust me, I know. :P)

Well, I didn't mean to attack you, and I'm very relieved that you were so calm in your response. I just a little excited, was all. haha


on Aug. 28 2010 at 4:40 pm
thewriteidea DIAMOND, Pleasanton, California
67 articles 0 photos 336 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry that it's over, smile because it has happened."

Wow, I'm sorry this seemed to upset you so much! I wrote this as an essay for school, so I am no that passionate about this subject. I am so glad that homeschooling has been such a great experience for you. Everyone is different though. This was just my opinon. That's why I submitted this into the *opinon* piece. And yes, I do know people who have been home-schooled and I did quite a lot of research on this. Again, sorry this upset you so much. My take on this was just the average group of people.

Lucylou BRONZE said...
on Aug. 28 2010 at 4:21 pm
Lucylou BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
3 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Oh man, this really gave me a good laugh. I cannot believe... *sigh*

Have you ever been home-schooled? At all? Do you have any reliable experiences? How many home-schoolers do you know? It sounds like your circle of friends are somewhat limited to what your school had to offer. 

Homeschooling is not 'missing out' on 'vital' parts of life, like friends and such, it's about living real life, in the real world. While everyone was i school eight hours a day, I was cleaning the house, my schoolwork already finished. I was grocery shopping, going to the library, making new friends at the park, learning how to cook, sew, crochet, spin wool, make forts, catch 'baby frogs,' can preserves, hang out with my best friends (my siblings)---the list goes on and on. 

And I'm glad you brought of the issue of qualification. This is a favorite topic of mine! 

Did you know that Home-schoolers test at an average of 80% on the State standardized test, when the average for public school students is around 50%. And that's factoring in that Home-schoolers don't test well due to the fact that we just aren't used to taking tests all the time--we're out of practice, essentially. I tested in the 99nth percentile. When you spoke of standards, whose standards were you referring to? Really? How do you know the standards set are the right ones? Or that they are high enough? I know plenty of home-schoolers who transferred to their local public school, and they found the curriculum a little too slow and easy for their tastes. Maybe students can be more independent about learning than teachers and school board members realize, and 'uneducated' parents perhaps are better prepared to teach their child than you imagine. Did you know that colleges prefer home-schoolers, simply because we've already shown initiative and an ability to work on something for our own satisfaction, not because a test or grade? 

Is spending eight hours a day with people the same age as you, doing the same thing every single day socializing? When, if ever, are you going to be presented with a scenario like that in real life? I made friends naturally, with people of all ages. 

I went to a college-type school this past winter, and someone asked me where I went to school.

"I'm homeschooled,"

"Oh, that doesn't surprise me; you're very much your own person.'

That's almost word for word what she said to me.  

I've really got to stop--I'm going to start foaming at the mouth or something. :P lol I could go on forever and ever about this! 

Abraham Lincoln, you know, the guy who kinda helped abolish slavery and was one of the greatest men to lead our country in our nation's history, and who has is own monument erected in his memory in WA, DC? That guy was home-schooled. And that was during a time when the school's curriculum was easily 3 times harder than it is now. Just saying. ;)

Sorry for any typos, this little comment box makes it difficult to look over one's work.

Hey! You should start researching this subject and collect more information on it. It could quite possibly influence you to take a different route when you have your own kids. Who knows.   


poohbear777 said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 9:40 am
I enjoyed reading your opinion, and thank you for talking about a controversial subject.  I'm pretty sure that home school is a good option for some, but my concern would be that the student might be exposed to fewer perspectives in a home school.  There could be an increased risk that a home schooler could become narrow-minded.

jill456 said...
on Apr. 12 2010 at 10:38 pm
this is a poem that some may not agree with. since you did an opinion piece its impossible to have everyone agree with you. but i love how you wrote this! along with poetry you have a talent for essay-writing. great job!

on Apr. 8 2010 at 3:14 pm
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments

Cool, thanks :]

As for statistics- it is possable to do homescholing the wrong way. I've seen kids get kicked out of school and their parents think they can do homeschool, and the kid has a really hard time and then doesn't stay on grade level. Some even degenerate :/ There's a right way to do it- to actually accomplish the famlies goals. It's just said that some don't get all they could out of it.... 


A. said...
on Apr. 5 2010 at 12:53 pm
Thanks for your opinion. Of course I don't mean to categorize anyone who is home schooled. What I wrote in this piece doesn't apply to everyone who is home-schooled. However based on some statistics, that is the case fo many people. I always like to hear the other side of the argument, so thanks. And I'm glad you enjoy home-schooling.

on Apr. 5 2010 at 10:25 am
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
10 articles 0 photos 107 comments

Most homeschooled teens can teach themselves, and follow their own schedule to meet a deadline. Just bcasue they aren't schooled in the "traditional" way doesn't mean they are deprived at all. Unless they failed to plan properly.

sigh. I don't know why everyone assumes we're socially inept just because we're home 4 hour a day doing school work. I don't have a ton of friends but it's for an entirely dfferent reason......


on Mar. 30 2010 at 8:11 pm
ClaraZornado GOLD, Danielson, Connecticut
10 articles 11 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your life is your art." Keri Smith

This is an interesting point of view. Up until 8th grade (2008) I was homeschooled my entire life. I am now in my freshman year of high school. My parents unschooled my whole family; we didn't have a regular curriculum, no daily work. Although homeschooling/unschooling is not for all, there is a ton of freedom, an abundance, involved. Some people cannot/will not handle it. I couldn't be happier in school now, though. I needed more of a challenge for myself, academically. I'm in all College Prep/Honors classes, and am enjoying them.

 

Homeschooling isn't all about the parents. In order to homeschool, both the parents and children must want to learn. The children need to be able to learn both from their parents and by themselves, that is "homeschooling". The parents must learn to teach their children and to have faith that their children will learn.

If anyone has any questions about homeschooling I'd be willing to answer them.