Bullying in School | Teen Ink

Bullying in School

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you saw bullying, what would you do to stop it? Would you stand by and let it happen, take part in it or try to stop it? Not many students think about this, and that’s part of the problem.

‘Treat others the way you want to be treated.’ That’s the Golden Rule and it should be followed in every aspect of your life. If someone was in a position to stop you from being bullied and did nothing, how would you feel? If you find that unacceptable, you must do everything you can to stop others from hurting people.

Are you even remotely aware of how much pain these victims feel every day? They go to school knowing they’re going to be hurt and they see no way out. This is because people like you and many others stand by and let it happen without contemplating how much pain this is causing people. Ask yourself this: How would you feel if you were in the victim’s position and could see no end to your pain?

When the victims see no way out, they may choose to tragically end their life, leaving more hurt behind for those who were unable to stop it. Canada has the third-highest teen suicide rate of all the industrialized nations, with 15 deaths per 100,000 people. Suicide is the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-24, behind motor vehicle accidents. The death of a young person is always a waste of life, so how many more lives must be wasted before something is done?

If you condone bullying in any way, shape or form, you are taking part in it. Bullying is everyone’s responsibility and the option of doing nothing is unacceptable in civilized society. Some people may consider mocking someone funny, even though it is anything but funny to the victim. Small jabs taken every day can add up to a lot of pain and suffering. While it may seem innocent to the person taking the shots, the cumulative effect of these daily jabs could be devastating. In addition to that, as the pain increases, each jab cuts a little deeper.

Bullying can happen in school, so it is the responsibility of students to protect their classmates and to show everyone the dignity and respect they would like to be treated with. The first line of defense in bullying is in student’s own behavior. But when that fails, it must be brought to the attention of someone in authority, like a teacher. The concept of someone in authority failing to address the problem is simply not acceptable. This is why you must speak to a teacher you trust and know will do something to stop the bullying.

Bullying is happening everywhere, even at your own school. You may not see it, you may not know it is there, but it is happening and it causes unimaginable pain to the victims. The only way to end bullying is to talk about it openly rather than making it a taboo issue. If someone is hurting another person, they will not stop unless someone (either a fellow classmate or someone in authority) stands up for the victim and tells their tormentor to stop. Bullying is everyone’s problem; therefore everyone has to be part of the solution.

This was originally an article I wrote for my school newsletter because I was sick of how much bullying was going on at my school. The newsletter just came out and so far nothing has changed; I really wish it would.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for your feedback.

RumMonkey BRONZE, Sunny Side Somewhere, Other

"I dream I'm on the surface of my own life, watching it unfold."

This article is inspiring, and I think that's the best thing a writer should aim to be. Keep on writing, you're great!

AnimaCordis GOLD, London, Other

"Evil is when the good do nothing"

I like this paper for it's bluntness. I also like how you've supported your points with facts, that makes your paper more persasive. However I think that you could descirbe the long term effects of bullying. The rates of anorexia and bullima (if that's how you spell it) are higher then suiside rates. You could inculde that. I think you might also try to describe some of the pain that victems feel, perhaps simile would fit here. I like your ending sentence, although I'm not sure that bullying is a taboo issue, it's disscused at school quite frequently, at least it is at my school. Lastly perhaps you should address the reader more personally towards the end. Your use of retorical questions makes bullying seem like a something the reader is guilty of, perhaps if you adressed the soultion as something more personal the reader would feel a little better. Although i do suport making the reader feel guilty. 

I very much support this paper, we have the same beliefs. I personally very much dislike the reperesentation of victems of bullying in the media. Victems are often protrayed as social failiers rather then social victems.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!  And I'm sorry your school is that way.  I'll look at your essay.

Bdub555 GOLD said...
Bdub555 GOLD, Keytesville, Missouri

"If you speak kind words, you will hear kind echos."

This sums up bullying.  My school is the exact same way and cant seem to get anything changed.  Look at my essay please,  about my time being bullied.  Thanks

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

schoolgirl13 said...
i feel that bullying is cruel and uneccessary. People who take part in it are just vile. What people dont know is that wereas physical pain hurts, words hurt more. This article  is  written very well and hits all points. Its very well worded too. PERFECT!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  And I don't expect this article to change anything; I just really needed to vent in my school newsletter.

Steph0804 GOLD said...
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

You stabbed straight to the point and left nothing out. I really think that if we share this with all the other Inkers, we can get a revolution rolling about :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)  And yeah, I don't like to sugarcoat serious issues.

CarsonFaircloth, Nowhere, New Hampshire

I think you wrote the concept of this rather well. It was very "to the point", and not very sugar-coated. I think it's important for people to know bullying is, indeed, wrong; and you made some very good points!

You also mentioned that small jabs can amount to a lot of pain; I especially thought this was true, though many people don't realize it. I thought it was very good that you pointed this out.

I did notice some repetition---with the "small jabs" thing, as well as some others---but really, I have no complaints. Well done!

cookiegirl said...
Nice article, I know bullying should be stopped, it results in psychological damage, I know because I had to deal with it.  Well written, and I hope the message  goes far:)

Gleek4ever GOLD, Hometown, Illinois

"If its one thing I learned in life its, Life's a climb but the view is great!" -Miley Cyrus

no problem.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

Gleek4ever GOLD, Hometown, Illinois

I luv the message in this. Bullying in schools should be stopped. :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Not that they'll actually listen.

CallMeMrs.Batman SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to our friends."
-Professor Dumbledore to Harry Potter
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
-Unknown

Amazing work! It sent such a good message to those hurting other people. :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I wish bullying was nonexistant too, but it's not.  So we have to make it happen as little as possible by talking about it openly and deciding on solutions. :)

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

I wish bullying was nonexistent, but it seems it just can't be escaped. I'm not going to say I've never hurt anyone's feelings; that would be a tremedous lie. But I will say that I've never purposely tried to hurt someone deep. This is a well written article and more people really need to read it and understand.

Incredibly, I'm not a usual target of bullies simply because I won't put up with it. I may be small and sweet to everyone, but if you are mean to me, you can't expect me to be nice to you.