Are Kids Addicted? | Teen Ink

Are Kids Addicted?

October 17, 2018
By Anonymous

In the present day of 2018, the life of a teen or student in the US is very hard for teens to put down their phone not only because they feel like they have to have it, but also they would not know what do with them.I went from  points of view from students, parents, and teachers. I interview Mrs.Abrams a local parents from the High School, Mrs.Bosscher a teacher at the High School, and several students.

Mrs.Abrams says that teens have become the generation of followers and not leads, and she feels her daughter is on her phone for roughly 4 hours a day. In Mrs.Abrams daily life she feels that she sees at least  4 out of 5 teens on their phones, she feels that it does not make sense for her as the parent to argue with her daughter about being on her phone so much because, as technology has gotten not only better but also faster it is just so easy for teens, so that they don’t have to work or think as hard. Mrs.Abrams daughter says that it is much easier for her to get homework done on her phone not just using a calculator but also for research projects. The priority of students has changed so much, it used to be who has the newest shoes now it’s who has the newest phones, “if I don’t have the newest iPhone am i going to fit in” said Mrs.Abrams. There are more advantages to technology now with everything from safety to just being connected.

“Phones are good in moderation but not abused,” Mrs.Bosscher, is a parent of two young boys, she also has been teaching for five years, feels that students are on their phones for 6 hours or more a day. In her daily life she sees at least six kids on their phones their walking and texting. The perspective of students has changed not only in school but in the everyday, “Students feel the need to try to hid phones in class and I think to them it’s a game.Which could teach them what’s it’s like when they get caught. Because students think I’m way more dumber than I am.” As I continued researching I realized that both the parents and teachers both said that phones are a good thing when used in the right ways and not overused.

I was almost done then I asked myself I haven’t talked to the people that are students. I read to them what teachers and parents had to say and the students had just said “yeah, that makes sense and we understand that we get why parents and everyone is so concerned with are wellbeing. But at the same time it what we feel is a safety net for us. We feel most comfortable on the phone. Not because we have everything we need or want at are fingertips but because if we need to get in touch with someone we can.” Some of the students were very honest about it and some of them are willing to put in the work so that they are not known as the worst generation.


The author's comments:

In this piece it is talking about how teens or students are on their phones to much. As you read you will hear form different people of different ages and how they feel about phones.