Courage and Sacrifice Freely Spoken | Teen Ink

Courage and Sacrifice Freely Spoken

November 13, 2018
By Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“From the fruit of their lips people are filled with good things, and the work of their hands brings them reward” (Proverbs 12:14). Speech is nothing shy of a gift bestowed upon each individual. The glory of speech is how words can be mightier than any weapon. Speech can be what opens a person’s eyes or saves the future from destruction.

During twilight’s, under the shelter of burning flame, a quill feverishly flicks across parchment and speaks truth. The man’s hand paints an image of the country’s hidden shame. This is his leap of courage.

The man is aware of his fate as another inky letter bleeds into the paper. In his head, his voice rings: But the honest word will fix the tattered bonds between people and government. The man stares at the finished article before him. Death may be inevitable for him; but at least now, people know what was kept from them.

A wall of picketers tower along the White House; enduring what Mother Nature adorns them with, these women stand firm. A silent protest roars like a mighty lion but is as silent as a mouse. This is their sacrifice.

The women endure beatings and cursing. In their head, their voices sing: But women will get their Liberty, even if I must destroy my own existence. The women set their jaws at the approaching officers. Suffering first came from their silent actions, but in the end equality was gained for all future women.

“God Bless America!” This solely rings with freedom. Being free is written in the lives of each person. Freedom is the strength we wear as armor and the river filling our glasses every morning.

Without the wing of speech and the wing of freedom, people can feel their will trapped in the iron birdcage. These allow the unique piece of each person to blossom out for their neighbors and protects spoken words swimming in truths that some would be quick to kill in a heartbeat. This is Freedom of Speech.