Silent Until 18 | Teen Ink

Silent Until 18

January 20, 2019
By ellah14 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
ellah14 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In 1787, a group of wealthy white men decided that citizens should have a voice in their government. They allowed only property holding, white males over the age of 21 to vote. Today, that group only makes up 31% of the US population. Over time, the opinions of large groups have been legally validated due to the 15th, 19th, and 26th amendments. Yet almost a quarter of US citizens are silenced. Almost 50 years ago, the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18. However, Americans are more connected than ever, resulting in young people who are much more educated on matters of city, state, and federal governments than in 1971.

Recent events have forced high schoolers into the media, revealing how attentive we are to politics. Take a look at the Parkland shooting. The adults in power allowed it to happen, and have the power to prevent the flood of gun violence issues, but it’s the teenagers that are stepping up and demanding change. When the adults in power allow our country to fall apart, we must speak up. As American citizens, it is our civic duty to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty. Sound familiar? That’s the preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America. The same Constitution our government supposedly upholds through their laws and decisions. Well, the young people of America call BS on that. Our government is not fair and equal to all the people of the United States. And we will not let them continue to abuse their power. We must vote in the future. The only issue? We can’t vote yet.

It is time to lower the voting age to 16. When our government forces us to sit and wait for our rights, our voices are silenced. If adults fear our views, then denying our vote is akin to denying the vote of a certain political party. That idea challenges the foundations of this country. And to quote one surveyee, “Even though some teenagers would make uninformed votes, some adults also make uninformed, uneducated votes”. In fact, we may be more likely to make an informed decision, according to the World Economic Forum, who claims our generation has record highs in high school and college graduation.

When I asked other students for their opinion, many brought up the word “illegal”. It’s illegal to vote under 18. It would illegal if I voted. 149 years ago it would be illegal for an African American to vote. 99 years ago it would be illegal for a woman to vote. Will you allow another century to pass before 16 year olds can vote?

Another issue brought up by the students I surveyed is that “old people” don’t have as strong a desire for change as younger generations do. Since they have grown so accustomed to the way things are, they don’t want to imagine the way things could be. It’s also more difficult for them to understand how the law affects us, the younger generation.  The most common survey response was that the law directly affects us, and we should have a say in what affects us. Every group of people should have a say in our government, which is a step on the path to having representation in our government. Because it’s just that. Our government. And a US government completely run by old white men is not the government I want to live under.

Imagine a future our founding fathers never could have dreamed of, where 16 year olds, women, people of color, and old white men have an equal say in our government. If you think everyone deserves a voice, write your lawmakers. Tell them it’s time for the young people of this country to have a voice in our elections.


The author's comments:

This topic is very important to me, and I think that many adults assume younger people don't care. I want to show them how important it is to us.