Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By cmiranda11 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
cmiranda11 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you know the meaning of dystopia? In a dystopian world things are very unpleasant and or bad.But it is in all reality perfect and everyone is equal. But what people don't know is that it isn't all equal it takes pain for everyone to live equal and perfect. Everyone is not always going to be happy.


In the dystopian story ten in a flag there is many points of why nobody's perfect. For example this quote shows how nobodys perfect “Your child is a ten,sir mr.white repeated.That should be enough to make you forget about the flag.” This is saying that there is still a flag on someone that is a 10.


In the story veldt there is a whole bunch of rebellious scenarios. Such as in this quote “Lydia, it’s off, and it stays off. And the whole damn house dies as of here and now. The more I see of the mess we’ve put ourselves in, the more it sickens me. We’ve been thinking of our machine assisted selves for too long. My God, how we need a breath of honest air!”. This quote is talking about how the house is so much into their life and how they cant get out of it besides just turning off the house.The kids in the veldt would take to their parents so rudely and would stay out late.


In the story harrison bergeron citizen fear the outside world and are scared of getting out of these dystopian environment."Harrison Bergeron, age fourteen," she said in a grackle squawk, "has just escaped from jail, where he was held on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the government. He is a genius and an athlete, is under-handicapped, and should be regarded as extremely dangerous." Harrison bergeron was scared that the government was going to kill him and things were supposed to be different if he did escape.


In conclusion the dystopias are not perfect. Nothing can be perfect in this world. I think that dystopias are probably the dumbest thing you will never have a perfect world.