Follow the Leader... Or Will You Stand Out? | Teen Ink

Follow the Leader... Or Will You Stand Out?

By DragonFlyEffect BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
DragonFlyEffect BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

If you were to stop what you were doing right now, take your phone, and go on any social media app such as Instagram, Twitter, etc. You would notice that many women, including men, seems to dress alike, some girls have the same hairstyles, some women are getting surgeries done to their faces and bodies. Men are having the same styles, it’s almost like there is a certain way people aim to look for, and I strongly differ with this habit. And what I mean by that is I dislike the fact that women (and even men, but right now I am more focused on girls) feel like there is a typical “beauty standard” that you must follow to appear “up to trend” or there is a certain way you have to look to be considered “beautiful”. If anything I find it distasteful how (especially teenagers) feels like there is a certain way you're supposed to look or dress.

As I was saying before and from personal experience, if you just take a second to make a social media account such as Instagram you'll notice that ( like I said I'm speaking for mostly females but some of this applies to men too) females are now doing the same things and rocking the same style. For example, I was on Instagram and Pinterest the other day looking for ideas of how my next hairstyle may be. When I was browsing I had noticed that a lot of girls are getting lace fronts and dressing in designer shoes and etc. Now, you may say, “Kanaija how is this everyone following the same style?”, the thing is its everyone. Everyone is getting lace wigs or lemonade braids. I don't see a female with maybe just box braids, maybe short hair, I barely see ladies with curly hair now. The “Look” basically is a woman with inches or lace wigs wearing the same designer clothes. And this is all because if you “have” things that are in trend then your considered “cool” or “cute”.

Also, I noticed something else relevant. Just like how I said teenagers/women tend to follow trends, people also do it to gain fame. If you are considered “cute” and accepted by the social media community it is very easy to gain fame is you maintain that “image”. And as would everyone would assume that's everyone dream, to become famous, so with that being said anyone will do anything to achieve it so they follow the “steps” to fame, following the leader. Because that's what the last person did right? others will follow after. Rarely do I run into someone on social media who completely has their own style. Social media is generally the easiest way for someone to make a figure of themselves, but in order to actually make something of yourself on the media you have to meet the “ beauty standard”.

Which is also why I hope and will fight for that “label” to be removed. There shouldn't even be a “standard” or any form of judgment going on at all that determines who’s “cute”, who’s “ugly”, who’s “normal”, or whatever. If you were born a certain way that's how YOU were supposed to be! I'm not saying women (men) shouldn't get their hair done from time to time or get yourself some nice outfits, or even get your nails done. The initial idea that I'm trying to project is I feel no one should feel like they should look more like someone else or have something that someone else to have any more worth than they already have. However you decide to live your life, or the way you decide to carry yourself should be the way of life for you, not what the media is showing you.

Furthermore, if this is a topic that you feel the same way I do about, or if you feel like you relate to the situation the solution is easy if we decide to resolve the conflict. If you feel as if you are a victim you can start but learning to have more self-love and maybe even take more time to learn more about yourself. Realize that however you decide to handle yourself is what makes YOU, another person does not make YOU or your value raise or decline. Or as I said for anyone who understands me on this topic, reach out. Give compliments more to your friends, or maybe even a stranger. The same way a large sum of people will go on celebrity pages or “famous” people’s pages and show support is the same way you can do the same for someone else. Even if its the smallest thing, go say something kind to people in your environment and it will make them feel better about themselves. Look into the mirror and say “ I am fascinating”, “ I am beautiful”, or anything optimistic to yourself right now, and maybe even every morning! Because no matter what you are perfect the way you decide to be, everyone is.

I wrote about this subject because I feel like this is something relevant and important. Beauty, media, and society are the "thing" now and coming from a generation and with experience with a lot of people from this generation, or just in general, I know and understand the pressure because I used to be someone who tried copying or "following" a trend. I hope that anyone reading can understand from my perspective what I'm trying to say and I hope that this specific topic makes a change in our society.