Logical Thinking Is Overrated | Teen Ink

Logical Thinking Is Overrated

By midnightmuser GOLD, Concord, Massachusetts
midnightmuser GOLD, Concord, Massachusetts

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship."
-Louisa May Alcott

I have always thought in numbers. This sounds a bit bizarre, but really it's simple: I constantly think of risk and probability, and put a lot of thought into what I do. After all, one small action could lead to a billion repercussions, and I never act before envisioning them. This is not a terrible mindset. It is very common among investors, and it is also the way my dad lives his life (strangly enough, he was an investor). Numbers are handy, dependable, and never wrong. However, I am starting to understand that there is a lot LESS to numbers than meets the surface.

I recently took a personality test. While answering the questions, I found a trend: I always chose logic-oriented answers over emotion-oriented answers. I realized that my whole life, I have always approached my emotions as only a side factor in decision making. 

This led to a rather depressing period in which I went through a mini identity crisis. I couldn't decide: was it better to live by the truth (numbers), or should I go with my emotions?

I found that through my numbers lifestyle, I have missed some important life lessons. For example, when going out to dinner with friends, I often critisize the food, obsessing over the fact that we had gained less than we had gave.

However, I never took into account the fact that I had had a great time, we had all been fed, and the memory was strong. Sometimes by only following the number trends I missed out on the other parts of life: the emotions, the relationships, and the overall feeling.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should not be afraid to let loose sometimes, to let go of the facts (if you are a number person like me), and pay your feelings some respects. Although probability and logic is important, one should never underestimate the power of the heart. In the end, what's more important is that you have a good time.