The Death Penalty | Teen Ink

The Death Penalty

May 24, 2019
By spencerkrinke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
spencerkrinke SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The death penalty is a very controversial topic that many people don’t agree on and have many different points of views about it. Also like many other things about it is it has pros and cons to it some of them include financial problems, false convictions, humane death and many other things that some people find to be fine and normal and others find disgusting and wrong to be doing ever. Also, some of the facts about the penalty may surprise you.

Some of the pros to the penalty is that if a criminal let's say murders somebody and is found guilty by a jury. Many say that whatever they do should happen to them. So if they murder somebody so then going off that they should be killed and many think that is very good because he took somebody's life they deserve to lose theirs. Another good thing about it is it deters murder and all capital punishment worthy crime. Many opinions think that people do those crimes then get killed by the death penalty will scare criminals from committing those crimes. Some say having the death penalty will help many uneasy citizens feel safe and have the feeling that the government is protecting them. It makes them feel more safe feeling that if somebody tries to kill somebody or do a bad crime they feel better knowing they are going to get what they deserve. Now that I have named some of the pros now to show the other side of the opinion.

First con on the death penalty is that all the people who support capital punishment think it will deter crime and be tough on crime. But looking at the facts those reports are false. After Canada got rid of the death penalty the murder rate there went down by 44%. Another problem is how often wrongful convictions happen on accident. On average ten thousand people are wrongfully convicted for crimes every year and 4.1% of people that have been executed have come out as incorrect convictions since 1979. That means about 341 people have died because of screw-ups in court and nobody can fix it. Another problem with the penalty is that there is no humane way to kill a human being. Even though he committed a serious crime and deserves to be punished for what he did. But the ways they do it is found by many as inhumane. Nowadays the only types of capital punishment are electrocution and lethal injection. That is some of the cons of having capital punishments.

My opinion, the death penalty is a very dangerous thing that kills many bad criminals every year since the beginning of the time that has killed the worst criminals for the possible crimes in their laws. Since time has gone on the death penalty has changed from stoning, a public hanging, gas chamber, electric chair, firing squad, and finally the lethal injection. Sure these may not be very good was to kill somebody but when a criminal commits a crime they know their chances of being caught and what the punishment can be so I think it’s a deserved thing. But I also think that it can only be used to a certain extent and not for every crime committed the only death penalty worth crimes I think should be Murder and treason and those types of crimes. Sure it may cost $1.2 million for one execution but its for a good cause it’s getting rid of a criminal who may have killed somebody's family or caused many people pain and suffering so I think if the death penalty can be used correctly by the government it can be a very good thing to protect and keep all citizens safe. Now moving onto the pros of capital punishment.

Now to summarize capital punishment is a very dangerous thing and that if all countries and the states could learn and use it correctly it could help a lot. As well as keep many people safe or at least feel safe. That also people who killed a family as deserving of it and should get the same of what they did.  Let alone in Canada when they all together got rid of the capital punishment their murder rate dropped by 44%. So even though I agree to let capital punishment stay but, many people have their own views and thoughts about it and it may never come to a compromise to make everybody happy.