The Monument Paradox | Teen Ink

The Monument Paradox

June 11, 2019
By Anonymous

What is a monument? One would say a monument is many things, a tribute to a past event or an eternal remembrance of an individual’s achievement. Perhaps, maybe a stark reminder of a bygone era? All of these are true, but should they be? The topic of monuments spans several decades and dozens of countries. The intricate detail of the Lincoln Memorial and the imposing figure of the Washington Monument are two examples of monuments etched into American society dedicated to the actions of the United States’ two most iconic presidents. The Marine Corps War Memorial or the Vietnam Memorial stand tall as to honor those who gave their lives for their country. These are just a few examples, but what of the monuments that represent a different narrative? One of conquest and fear.

Located in South Dakota, another iconic monument is Mount Rushmore. A mountain of granite on which the likeness of four U.S. presidents are forever captured. One might think this as a fitting memorial to four great men, but the hills on which the carvings reside once belonged to the Native American Sioux nation. Those very same hills are still considered sacred by the members of the Sioux. “I have to admit: Mount Rushmore bothers me. It was bad enough that white men drove the Sioux from hills they still hold sacred; did they have to carve faces all over them too? It’s easy to feel affection for Mount Rushmore’s strange grandeur, but only if you forget where it is and how it got there. To me, it’s too close to graffiti.” (Source C). This lack of respect and empathy for a people whose lands were taken only sours the taste of this iconic piece of American geography.

The plans to create a museum dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust in Washington D.C. is a source of extreme controversy and debate. Those who oppose the creation say that a museum should be placed in a country where the Holocaust actually occurred, as well as stating that the U.S. did not do enough to prevent the Holocaust during WWII. Supporters of the Holocaust Museum claim that it adds to The Mall’s already broad and diverse collection of remembrance and that having the museum honors those who did not survive the atrocities committed during the Second World War.  “No other nation has a broader, graver responsibility in the world . . . No other nation more needs citizens trained to look life in the face,” (Source E). The museum’s design did not help the controversy as the first draft was described as a massive building that overwhelmed visitors and downplayed the events of the Holocaust instead of being a place of remembrance. The first draft for the building’s design was scrapped in favor of a more respectful size.

Also in Washington D.C, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was created in the early 1980s as a tribute to the conflict in Vietnam. It was designed purposely simplistic with a black granite wall with the names of men who died or went missing while serving in Vietnam. Each side of the monument points towards the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument respectively. The black granite was chosen to create a mirror reflection of another world figuratively. Unlike the conflict the monument is dedicated to, the memorial itself is built in harmony with the surrounding geography instead of being built directly into it or dominating the surrounding area. “The idea of destroying the park to create something that by its very nature should commemorate life seemed hypocritical, nor was it in my nature,” (Source G). The memorial is as much a celebration of life as it is a tribute to sacrifice for one’s country.

In conclusion, monuments and memorials play several different roles for several different reasons. Are they all necessary? Probably not. Beauty; as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, and each one of these monuments is erected to assist in the remembrance of an important piece of history. History has always been important to the American people, and those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. In contrast, some monuments stand as reminders to uglier times in American history, of times where the country’s inaction cost countless lives. Memorials and monuments are an important piece of American society, but who decides what America remembers?  


The author's comments:

It is an asssignment.