The Art of Lying | Teen Ink

The Art of Lying

April 30, 2009
By hello.peaches PLATINUM, Greenfield, Massachusetts
hello.peaches PLATINUM, Greenfield, Massachusetts
26 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"i don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz or arrow of carnations that propagate fire: i love you as one loves certain dark things, secretly, between the shadow and the soul."
-Pablo Neruda


I believe in lying.

Imagine the weight the world would have if you couldn't turn, with a flip of your hair, and refuse the truth to protect someone or hurt them. We'd perpetually be tangled in a mess of pain, bewilderment, and joy.

Personally I relish the content feeling the makes me limbs feel like lead weights when I let a simple little lie slip from my lips then the sudden electric lightness about me as I realize that I, yet again, altered the course of a life to a certain extent.

Lying is a guilty pleasure, a luxury not all of us can accommodate for or handle.

I believe that if your heart clenches with guilt or your hands sweat your lie wasn't worth the breath it took and was just a waste of precious time. I believe in lying for yourself.

I believe that if the look on people's face portrays an emotion so vividly you hardly thought it was possible, but wanted to believe it was, you have succeeded. I believe in lying to do what's best.

I believe that when your mesh-like net of words blocks someone for ages and they continue to walk down the street completely oblivious to the reality, your words must have been ingested and digested almost as well as honesty would have been. I believe in lying to protect.

I believe that if others cry at your lie and when they realize the truth, yet you feel so accomplished, alive and real that you smile at their hurt you have become stronger. I believe in lying to cause pain.

I believe you need a master, the kind whose voice soothes like cool honey and can manipulate words in such a way you are dazzled and only stop to contemplate the truth years later. That master would probably be the one to teach you with lies and wait until your instinct takes over. Then maybe if your lucky, you will have retained and absorbed their habit enough so that you can perfect it.

Through all this I do not believe in lying to get away with something

It is an art to me, something to master and over-come, to use and to withstand. And like every art it deserves a certain level of respect from everyone. Use it for personal gain and other people's pain or your own loss and other's protection, but the outcome must effect more then just you.

Art and talents are there to be shared and distributed evenly or unevenly.

I believe in lying in general. Go on, create some mischief.