Overworking | Teen Ink

Overworking

By cmartinez7649 BRONZE, San Pedro, California
cmartinez7649 BRONZE, San Pedro, California

The Future… What Does it Hold?

Nothing exciting, that’s for sure. If I don’t settle down by the time I’m 25, I’ll have to work myself to death. I won’t have anything for myself except work, and work, and work… Which is why I despise the way humans chose to live. Especially capitalism. We could’ve just lived; existed like every other inhabitant of the world. We wouldn’t have to pay for basic necessities if humans were so greedy. And the motive behind greed root from the way our ancestors established human life.

Now, I’m not saying overthrow all of society. There are systems we still need to maintain order and survive. People to protect us. What I’m saying is we need to modify our way of living… Why do we need to pay for housing, food, and clothes? Every house can come with a basic set of furniture, and sets of clothing for each resident. When people want to start buying more for themselves, they can pay for it. And why pay for wellbeing? No public healthcare? Talk about “land of the free.”

An education system that’s been corrupt since the dawn of its creation? Wow, no wonder students nowadays turn up with more mental illnesses than generations prior. And the United States doesn’t seem to have a problem with overworking its residents. But one day, people are going to wake up and realize that they can make a difference. Power of the government comes from the people, right? Then they should have enough power to modify it as they see fit.

I've thought to myself recently, "Why do we live the way we do?" I wondered what human life could be like if we took it in a different direction. No social status, no limits, just... Us. Humans living life freely and carelessly. Why can't we do that? Well, as the Founding Fathers said: If men were angels, no governement would be necessary.