Firearms Regulations In the U.S. | Teen Ink

Firearms Regulations In the U.S.

By Yandel BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
Yandel BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

Does limiting access to guns reduce violence?

Gun violence is a contemporary human rights issue. Gun-related violence, threatens one of the most crucial rights we have, The Right To Life. In today's society firearms are mostly used for warfare, protection against criminals, and self-protection which are equitable purposes for such a feared object. In 2015 The U.S had the most firearm-related deaths worldwide making it have one of the highest gun-related deaths. Many people believe that acquiring stricter laws against guns will help reduce violence, while others think that they should grant permission to own guns for self-protection. 44% of American citizens admit to owning a gun making it one of the biggest controversies as of now. But would applying stricter law regulations around guns help reduce violence?

ADV - More gun control reduces suicidal rates

Over the past years, several studies have demonstrated that in the United States more people commit suicide with guns than all the other methods put together. According to Harvard Injury Control Research Center (HICRC) In 2010, 19,392 people killed themselves with guns. Researches say that suicide with guns is not just the most common but is the most lethal, increasing the suicide rates even higher because they’re quick and irreversible. The NRC reported that the risk of a gun owner committing suicide with their gun is significantly higher than someone that doesn't own a gun.

DID - The Second Amendment - “Right to Bear Arms”

The second amendment was part of the Bill of Rights that was added to the Constitution on December 15, 1791. This Amendment states that “ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and shall not be infringed.” or in simple words, This amendment protects the rights of citizens by having the right to keep and own guns legally. According to the Pew Research Center, You cannot legally own a gun if you are not over the age of 18, have a criminal record or a mental disorder which is about 26% of Americans, leaving the rest 74% with access to firearms, which is an excessive amount of people. The Second Amendment was meant to serve people with a reliable source of protection from the tyrannical government, but now It has led to many continuous violations of human rights.

ADV - Decrease Impact on minorities 

Gun control in the United States is based on a long history of discrimination which continues to this day. While blacks were the first targets of gun control measures, different racial and ethnic minorities have been targeted over time, and today the poor now face economic discrimination in many gun control laws. Gun control may be marketed as a way to curb crime, but it has long been used to restrict particular society groups by prohibiting them from carrying guns. Minorities in the U.S for example, Asians, Hispanics, African Americans, and Muslims are usually the people that are most affected by uncontrolled gun violence. 

DIS - Access to firearms reduces the crime rate

Many criminologists conclude that the mere availability of firearms does not necessarily lead to gun violence, But the opposite reduces the crime rate and creates society a safer place. According to the National Rifle Association (NRA) “It is not true that keeping guns out of the hands of people makes society safer. Violent Crimes reduce when more law-abiding citizens possess weapons.” They stated that studies have demonstrated that in 2010 In the United States, gun homicide fell off by 49% since 1993, The reason was because of gun ownership. Sometimes the presence of firearms can make people feel anxious, threatened or fearful, for their lives which will have long term psychological effects. This is why owning a gun will make people feel safer and protected in a way. 

In conclusion, guns have shaped the identity of society. It has changed the way we see the world in many ways. Although this is a very controversial topic, we need to find an agreement that will protect everyone’s human rights. For my action plan, I was thinking of posting a writing piece to TeenInk for people my age and above to be informed about this significant issue. Furthermore, I would like to create a design and place them around the school, for students to be aware of this issue. This ongoing issue won’t be simple to solve. It will take time, perseverance, and patience, but It will be acknowledged and solved. 

In our World Civilisation class, we are supposed to find a controversy and make a commentary about it, with different perspectives, my controversy was Firearms Regulations IN the U.S, I find this is a significant Issue not just in the U.S but all over the world, I feel like people must take an action even if it's not small because change doesn't have to be big It can be small and still be effective and this was my action plan.