Insomnia: Is it that bad? | Teen Ink

Insomnia: Is it that bad?

I turn over to look at my alarm. 2:30 am. I know how hard it's going to wake up the next morning, but I can’t skip school again. I look outside my window and look at the other houses. No lights. It was all dark. Why am I always awake at this time? The time when everyone is supposed to be asleep, but I'm stuck here alone with my cruel thoughts. It feels like I'm being sucked into a black hole. How is it that I hate but love the night so much, it's so peaceful, but at the same time, my thoughts and memories are all yelling to break free from where I have trapped them in the far corner head. 

Many of you may think that there are zero pros to insomnia, well, there may not be that many, but there are some. For example, for some people, it could give you tireless stamina. Insomnia can also enhance your creativity. Many writers, musicians, and artists prefer to do their work late at night to help spark creative ideas.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     "Investigations into its more positive effects are giving scientists new perceptions about sleep deprivation,"  says Regina Patrick from Sleep Review Magazine. Therefore we can see that there could be benefits that we still don’t know about insomnia.

So now that we have talked about all the pros of insomnia, we have to talk about the cons. Many people suffering from insomnia "have problems with thinking, concentrating, memory, reaction times, and mood." Because of this, it can be challenging to do your work or even concentrate on what someone is saying. You might get further away from people because of sudden mood changes and a short temper. Insomnia can be very difficult to live with. "Sleep lets your mind recharge and process information. It's the only part of the day that your body gets to rest and repair." Without being able to sleep, your mind and body never have the time to do this. 

In my opinion, I agree more with the cons side. Even though the pros sound nice, it is not always the reality. Many people have different reactions and "side effects" to insomnia. As I described initially, being trapped alone with your thoughts can almost be unbearable, feeling stuck in the middle of the night with no one to help you. 

In conclusion, insomnia can be good or bad. It could even be one or the other. You can have heightened awareness or a spark of creativity, it could help you, or it could make your life so much more difficult. So in your opinion, do you agree with the pros or cons of insomnia?