What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

On September 11, 2001, the American flag was among the most respected symbols. It was loved and prayed to while the men and women went to fight against the opposition. In 2022, the American flag lost the passion it once had, but the hope in it remains.

Every morning when I take the Pledge of Allegiance, I look at the flag. Those stripes and stars have been everywhere, and that is what crosses my mind. The moment when Neil Armstrong struck that flag into the moon didn't just show our dominance over the Russians in the space race, but it showed hope that we aren't stuck on this planet and that we have the ability to learn much more. 

The Americans were going against the strong British force during the War of 1812; at Fort McHenry, a large battle took place centering around the city of Baltimore. A bombardment occurred, shots rang out, and at the very end, it was the American flag waving in the wind, signaling the crucial win over the British, giving hope to America that the war wasn’t lost. 

On the fourth of July, when fireworks are going off and you are eating tasty brats and hotdogs, it's hard to remember what you are trying to celebrate, or rather who you are trying to celebrate. However, when dashes of red and white sprinkle the sky and go off with a loud BANG, the most eye-catching, beautiful object is still the flag that remains on the post. The flag reminds us of the independence that countless men and women fought to provide for us, with the hope of a better future.

America isn’t perfect, nor should it be; we are a melting pot full of stripes and stars fighting to hold our spot on that flag. However, as long as that flag still stands, there is hope. Hope for a better future, hope for the continued protection of family and friends, and hope for America’s prosperity. The American flag is a symbol for all of its citizens to believe in.