Our Home on Native Land | Teen Ink

Our Home on Native Land

By cmounsey BRONZE, Toronto, Other
cmounsey BRONZE, Toronto, Other

At the NBA All Star Game, when Juno-award winning singer-songwriter Jully Black sang the Canadian anthem, instead of singing “our home and native land” she sang “our home on native land”. The one word change has earned Black the applause of many Indigenous leaders and sparked a lot of conversation over whether we should adopt this version of the national anthem.  

While it is common within native communities to use this line, it hasn't yet been officially changed or used by the broader population, but due to the media attention that Black is receiving for her choice, it may be time for ceremonies, schools such as ours, and workplaces to play this version instead. 

It wouldn't be the first time the anthem has been changed. In 2018, the line “in all thy sons command” was changed to “in all of us command” to be gender neutral. Making our anthem more inclusive is part of recognizing that many aspects of Canada have changed since the creation of the anthem. We now acknowledge the importance of non-male individuals in our society, and as well, we should recognize the presence of Indigenous people in Canada, and the fact that we live on their land. By embracing land acknowledgements in our announcements and assemblies, we have taken steps to remind each other that we are on Indigenous land, and this new anthem could further this. 

The fact that this lyric chance has attracted so much positive attention shows that people are ready and willing to make the change. Although it seems small, it's a great way to honor Indigenous people.