To Be or Not To Be Banned | Teen Ink

To Be or Not To Be Banned

August 16, 2010
By AndreaD GOLD, West Chester, Pennsylvania
AndreaD GOLD, West Chester, Pennsylvania
11 articles 6 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four legs, four arms and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them apart, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other half.


Censorship of books suggests books that portray inappropriate ideas and situations should be banned. Books are challenged, meaning they are reviewed multiple times for what they are being accused of (obscenity, indecency, profanity, etc.). If the novel is found to be “guilty” of what it is being accused of, it will be banned. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, and The Giver by Louis Lowry are examples of banned books. These amazing reads have been banned multiple times, constantly being challenged throughout curriculums and library systems. The commonwealth have the right to choose what they read for themselves.

People have the right to choose for themselves what they wish to read and what they do not wish to read. In the same way, parents have the right to choose what their children read and what they do not read. A body of people with authority or a government should not have any say in what the commonwealth read. An article written by Dawn B. Sova talks about the banning of the novel The Giver by Louis Lowry. A parent of Port Saint Lucie, Florida, objected to the novel: “Ms. Cerbasi’s concerns about the novel raise legitimate questions about who should decide which books are appropriate for children, and whether or not disturbing stories are appropriate for youth even if they teach a valuable lesson” (Sova, “Giver” para. 3). Her reasoning in which she wishes for the book to be removed from middle-school shelves is: “‘Nobody is a family. They kill a baby who cries at night. I read it and thought- no way. Not for sixth grade. Maybe high school, maybe’” (Sova, “Giver” para. 3). The “inappropriate” ideas that The Giver suggests also apply in Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Many parents challenged the novel as being “vulgar” and “offensive”. The use of the word n***** caused it to be accused of being “profane”: “‘Profanity’ prompted the challenge at Oak Hill High School in Alexandria, Louisiana, where it was retained” (Carrington, “OMAM” para. 6). These parents were unnecessarily challenging these novels. They should not have the right to choose for everyone.

Freedom of speech and choice is one of the many great things that America possesses. The banning and challenging of books partially takes away that freedom. Parents should be the deciders of what their children read. If they have an issue with what their child is reading in a class, the school should be formally contacted with, and voice their opinions respectively. Dawn Sova says in her article about Fallen Angels: “According to policy, if a parent feels that a book the child has selected is inappropriate, then a teacher is asked to help the child select another” (Sova, “FA” para. 3). Although parents may feel obliged to speak out on behalf of their children, these attempts to “protect their children” only create arguments and heated disputes. If a novel is banned, that prohibits many other children from reading it. Who is to say that only two parents prevent hundreds of children from reading a certain novel?

Banning books prohibits freedom of speech and choice. Parents are the proper people to choose what their children read, and adults should be able to decide for themselves, not the government. Books should not be challenged and banned, for it keeps children from reading.