Project Wrist Cutters | Teen Ink

Project Wrist Cutters

By lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida
lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

The only people for me are the mad ones... the ones who never yawn and say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders against the stars." - Jack Kerouac

Today, I was trying to find a picture of cut wrists for a project I have to hand in. You know what I found instead? Tips… on how to slit your veins open successfully.
Now, I am well aware that we all have the right to express ourselves, but why would you help a suicidal person get information? And, more importantly, why does the government allow this?
I actually read somewhere that lack of information on how to do it right is what mainly causes people to refrain from killing themselves. So why not take down all the pages where instructions are given to slit your wrists?
It’s the least we can do.

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

thanks for the suggestion! I did, it's called EXPANDING PROJECT WRIST CUTTERS =)

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

exactly!! if you want to read more, the expanded version of this is on my profile =)

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

Censorship... yes. The expanded article deals with that. It's called EXPANDING PROJECT WRIST CUTTERS. You can find it on my page if you're interested in the topic and want to read more.

It's not just wrist cutting, there are web sites out there with information on all sorts of self-harm, from suicide to anorexia. I know it's terrible, but people have every right to it, and taking down information like this is censorship. There are certain cases in which if someone is directly influenced to kill themselves by media like this, the person who wrote the how-to can be prosecuted, but it's rare.

Meggy129 BRONZE, Hebron, Illinois
Cutting is a heavy topic and I myself have seen websites that show you how to cut and find it ridiculous that there allowed to be shown. The only information that should be on the internet about cutting is how to prevent yourself from doing it or information on places that can help you stop cutting.

J. Rae said...
The problem is, that sadly there are people who want to hurt themselves. I think that it is good that there is this information that these people can find. If they cut a wrong way, they could bleed to death before anybody could stop it. But there should also be information on how bad it is to cut with it, or some way to try and convince them to not cut.

amybug said...
amybug, Penrose, Colorado

"Always remeber there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name." -The Avett Brothers

yeah it was good. i don't understand why people do put that stuff out there, its so wrong. however, the government dosen't take it down, because we as citizens have rights such as free speech and press. and so and so forth. and yeah of course it could've been longer, everyone on this site wants thing to be longer than a paragraph, my self included. so yeah to make a really strong statement, i suggest you make it longer.

lizzymwrites GOLD, Miami, Florida

Well, yeah, obviously. It was just me, ranting, LOL

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

I agree, it could have been longer.

Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
It could've been longer, but I completely agree with the artircle!  Why would anyone help others hurt themselves?