Mockchildren | Teen Ink

Mockchildren

By SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Maybe if someone would pay attention this world wouldn’t be so full of ghosts, of human ghosts who never were given a second chance. They are called mockchildren, and they are my brothers and sisters. They are all invisible to the world because no one bothered to pay attention, no one. They just stood in the corner trembling and wishing someone would come over and say hello, because really they are just too shy to try and say anything. The pitiful state they are in can only be blamed on themselves. They wish to escape, but are unsure how, since they were the ones who drove them there and no one else. Mockchildren are just what it sounds like, mock children. But having it as one word makes it official to the world that yes, these monsters that are feared by all parents do exist. All parents fear that their own precious child will be taken by the world and changed into this hideous thing called a mockchild without their consent. That is the only way one could be transformed, without their parents permission. If only they did, they wouldn’t be any happier though. In fact, those particular mockchildren’s lives would be considerably worse than ones who did not get their parents consent. Whatever the way they got there, their lives have been ruined by the time they reach full mockchild-dom. Anyway, many mockchildren will find that their parents have given up on them in all their mockchild glory. Their parents and their friends and everyone has given up but themselves, but once all have given up, it gives the mockchild themselves the right to give up as well, and that is how lives are lost. Never ever ever give up on a mockchild. If anyone should do so, that particular child is doomed.

Never ever ever give up.

jenni831 said...
Awesome work!

minnieokie said...
Sadly, this story reminds me of things that I do see every day.  Good work.