Are Bullies Criminals? | Teen Ink

Are Bullies Criminals?

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

The death of Phoebe Prince was tragic, but it’s not right to punish all bullies as criminals. I’m not saying bullying should go unresolved, but some bullies are victims. There are different degrees of bullying. If it is 2nd degree bullying, the bullies irritate you severely and tease you. But 1st degree bullies make you miserable, and in Phoebe’s case suicidal.
Bullying is really common, what are we going to do…send half of American kids to jail? No one is mean just to be mean; there are usually background problems. Abusive parents, death of relatives, or jealousy. For instance, one reason Phoebe was harassed was because the bullies didn’t like the fact she dated a popular football player. They may have been jealous of the relationship.
Stopping bullying is the job of parents and schools. They’re the ones who should face charges when bullying gets out of hand. How come nobody noticed Phoebe getting pummeled every day? The bullies were also being mean to her on Facebook. Where were the parents supervising their children’s accounts? Since Facebook and other Social Networking sites enable bullying 24/7, bullying today can be 10 times worse. This shows why Social Networking sites need to be monitored by adults, or even friends.
Bullies don’t cause kids to commit suicide. Lots of kids are bullied and don’t commit suicide. Those who do must have other problems. Phoebe already thought of herself as worthless. Before she came to South Hadley, she already had problems and attempted suicide. Her break up with the football player could’ve made her depressed again. The 1st degree bullying probably served as the last straw.
The only bullies who should face charges are the bullies that cause others to literally cry themselves to death, like Phoebe Prince. If we put every bully in jail, that would ruin a lot of kids’ lives, when most of them were 2nd degree bullies. These bullies need to face the parents and schools. Only 1st degree bullies should face the legal system.

RIP Phoebe Prince
Resource: http://www.today24news.com
This was an assignment for Language Arts. Please comment on this. Thank you!!!

on Jun. 21 2011 at 10:59 am
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

WOW :) you said a LOT in a short piece---i like it. You bring out a lot of points and you even said some things some kids dont dare say (like how sui.c.i.dals may have personal problems aside from bull.y.i.n.g) You're right------I've experienced 2nd degree bull.y.ing and though it hurts, I never thought about su.i.c.i.de. This article really makes me think. I rated this too.

MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby

I do actually! It's in the nonfiction forum and titled Expression :) If you could read that I'd be really grateful!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you so much of course I'll check it out!!!!! :D

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Hey JoPepper, nice job! I loved the article. It flowed well and your points of opinion were well said and supported. Amazing! Keep writing, your really good. 

Oh if you have time, could you please give me some feedback on my poem "Destinies Entwined" in the poetry forum? Thanks! 

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you for reading and thank you that would be fantastic anything of yours you want me to read? :))

MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois

You have very mature ideas. I don't completely agree with all of your points, but you did write a very good article. Very good job :) I'd like to see more of your work!

on Jun. 7 2011 at 10:21 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I know right I was scared that I wouldn't make it to 13 I'm actually a teenager now yay!!!!!!thank you so much I'm glad that you agree thanks for commenting!!!!

areebaization BRONZE, Dammam, Other

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.” – William B. Sprague

I cant believe that you recently turned 13! You have keen ideas about the topic, your points really worth thinking.

I agree with you.

keep writing