One Is A Number Too | Teen Ink

One Is A Number Too

September 14, 2011
By itchyriver PLATINUM, San Diego, California
itchyriver PLATINUM, San Diego, California
27 articles 5 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
That's either snow or a bunch of white flowers.


There is no doubt that words possess strength incomparable to any man, beast, or machine. The power of thought, its permanence once implanted in the mind, is second to none. Yet this might is inconsequential if it is not acted upon. Even the most innovative ideas remain scratches on paper until they are brought to life through action. Our world sees progress not through the collective thought of the masses, but by the accomplishments of individuals.

Too often, people refuse to act on their ideas and in doing so lose what defines their character and being. The fear of acting on personal beliefs cripples self-confidence and inhibits the growth of society. Those who cannot defend their ideals with assertion, or worse, will not metaphorically- and sometimes literally- fight for them, are powerless and lack individuality. If we resign ourselves to always accepting the words of others, then we waste our potential and deny the world all that we have to offer. A single person’s efforts may seem fruitless when compared to the population as a whole, but the so cleverly named “strength in numbers” starts with one person. Let’s not forget, one is a number too.

To think for yourself, to act for yourself, and to be yourself, is becoming a rarity in our society where the accepted norm is a narrow path with no room for misstep. Voicing your opinion when the TV screams opposite and the newspapers say no is intimidating to say the least. Defying the mindless flow and synchronizing your moves with your mind, no one else’s, is nothing short of daunting. However if you speak with interest, not indifference, and act passionately, not passively, then you can be confident that you are contributing to the advancement of our world. Mark Twain stated, "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." While it is easy, comfortable even, to simply follow the thoughts and actions of the masses, it strips our society of care and characteristics.


We are all capable of bringing life to language; strings of words can become chains of action; spoken promises, results. Individuals have not only the ability, but the responsibility, to enrich the world. No amount of good thoughts or intentions can ever match the power of action and no act is too small, nor goes by unnoticed.