Expections | Teen Ink

Expections

By Iceball BRONZE, Richmond Hill, Other
Iceball BRONZE, Richmond Hill, Other
3 articles 1 photo 1 comment

The people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones who do.

People are born into expectations.
We are taught what to say, what to do, what to believe, what to value, what to deny. At the age of 3, you are taught these things called “manners”. You are told what to say, how to say it, and who you must say it to. At the age of 5, you are taught the difference between right and wrong. You are told what you should do, and what you shouldn’t do. At the age of 7, you receive an assignment from your teacher telling you to write about your dreams. You are told to believe in the future, in yourself, in others. At the age of 10 you learn about respect and honesty in class. You are told to value specific qualities, to value specific objects, specific people. At the age of 11, you see a classmate being bullied between classes. You are then told what is wrong, what you must fear, what you dislike, and what you must walk away from.
You wonder sometimes, what is the point of doing what you’re doing. Society is a machine, processing you and throwing away all imagination from the brain, giving rules and step-by-step instructions on how you must live. Society is a mold, constantly engulfing people and turning them into a soul with the same shell. If you looked into our world from a third person perspective, you would not help but wonder why we are all the same. We look the same, dressing in the same fashion, same style. We speak the same, with the same grammar, same slang. We act the same, copying each other and trying too hard to fit in.
So now you start questioning everything you’re doing, because the truth is, even if you had no education, no connection with any other human, nothing we value in the human society, you would still grow to get used to the very nature of the wild and live perfectly fine on your own.
Looking at evolution, you may become aware that nature stops at good enough. It does not make the slightest attempt to become this “perfect” we always speak of. Perfect is an unknown concept. How are you supposed to believe in something that you don’t even know of? How can you be “perfect” when its very nature is unacknowledged by the human mind?
This is a non-ending cycle. It will never stop.

We are taught what to say, what to do, what to believe, what to value, what to deny. People are born into expectations.