America Responsibility: Media | Teen Ink

America Responsibility: Media

By Lisa_Scars BRONZE, CALIFORNIA, California
Lisa_Scars BRONZE, CALIFORNIA, California

"If i had a world of my own everything would be nonsense."

To the general public,

I would like to bring to you the attention of an important yet unpublicized growing issue. Growing number of people are becoming aware that American media and news outlets are slowing becoming controlled and censored. What once was a trusted place to keep in touch with the world around you is slowly molding and steering people into: destination unknown. American media should not be controlled or have censorship on information being broadcast; people have a right to know what’s going on in the country and what’s being regarded overseas.

Secrets and biasness is the starting point of a disaster. Countless times this scenario have been seen, and in the end it has never been a happy ending. Now with modern technology information is being shared moments after it happened. Even still the facts are being overlooked misled, or twisted as fast as it comes out. News networks stress and play with words, and some absorb it without question. Benjamin Franklin once said, “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” Bias has no place in society anymore, practically in media outlets. If you have to be on guard for manipulation on the informative reports and stories that are talked about what else is being done, one must ask.

However I can understand why some would do such actions, to some degree. If Americans receive the facts and truth some could never believe what is going on over seas and the homeland. Others might be more radical and protest even with outright violence, and all replies in between. Human reactions can hardly measure. Throwing out the window the decision of weather it’s right or wrong the cause has been made, now needs be consider the effect of it. Many higher up authority figures would reason that it is for our own good and well being to put the shutters up and sit in the dark. Its thoughtful really, how could anyone go on the same way as before with severity of what’s being done around the world.

It is not said beings decisions to make for a whole country, especially when most of them are or fueling the problem. If you research the networks that you watch and listen to you will come across the same few names that own or is a parent company today: Comcast, Disney, Viacom, Clear Channel, News Corp, and Time Warner. What Business Insiders’ Ashley Lutz’s Frugal Dad says,” But the fact that a few companies own everything demonstrates “the illusion of choice.” The first step in taking action for any issue if to get the public informed and talking about it. How can you solve a problem when you don’t even know that it exists? Put the power of democracy at work.

Thank You,
M.J.