Empathy | Teen Ink

Empathy

June 1, 2013
By LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other
LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other
14 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be nobody but yourself in a world that is trying it's hardest every night and day to change you into everyone else is to fight the hardest battle a human being can fight, and never stop fighting.


If you could change one thing about the world to try and make it better, what would you change?

I would make everyone feel empathy. The dictionary tells us that empathy is “Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives” which simply means putting yourself in another person’s place. Stepping into their shoes. Seeing the world through their eyes.

Take a moment and think about it. Would there be as many starving children in Third World countries if instead of ignoring the adverts on TV, we saw how difficult life is for other people and sponsored a child instead of buying a new games console? Would crime rates be as high if robbers realised that shop owners need their products to support themselves, or if the pain felt by assault victims was also felt by the perpetrators? Would the number of murders each year be so high if every single person understood that the moving bodies they see in the streets belong to minds and souls that live and exist just like themselves? If we could feel each other’s pain and suffering, do you honestly believe that life would be the same?

Empathy would not just affect society in general, it would also have a strong positive impact on our relationships as individuals. I, for one, have argued with my friends before over simple misunderstandings and have said things in my life that I wouldn’t have said if I realised how they would affect the person. Cyber-bullying, which was unheard of in our parents’ generation, is now common, but would people post insults and gossip so casually and publicly online if they saw through their screens to the girl or boy on the other side who is reaching for a tissue to wipe their tears?

In my opinion, empathy is the big sticky plaster that could heal the world. And the best thing about it? It is free. It takes little time. It is easy to empathise with someone, if you try. My only question is, why is no one trying???


The author's comments:
This is something that matters to me. I can't stand it when someone throws insults at another person like they are confetti, and doesn't realise that it hurts. Because if they understood, they would forget their words of hate and just hug the person.