You Call that Beauty? | Teen Ink

You Call that Beauty?

By Katelyn Li BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts
Katelyn Li BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts

Ever watched the show “Toddlers in Tiaras”? If you have, then you have witnessed firsthand the detrimental effects of child beauty pageants. On this show, makeup is smothered on little kids’ faces and hundreds of dollars are spent on glamorous, over-the-top costumes. Children as young as three years old are seen wearing cone bras, booty shorts, thigh-high boots and revealing tops that bear a striking resemblance to the outfits that strippers don. And some of these kids are still in diapers! All of this is unhealthy for young children, who are still growing and developing and can be easily influenced by their surroundings. Because of the harm they do to child contestants, beauty pageants for children under sixteen should be banned.
First off, it is important for children to know that brains come before beauty, and that it is what is on the inside that counts. However, when a child’s life revolves around beauty pageants, this idea can fail to be grasped. Caking makeup on, wearing hair extensions, and putting in false teeth that hide baby teeth are all things that children are taught to do to look “pretty”. A recent documentary called “Baby Beauty Queens” shows a young girl named Tyla who had cosmetic surgery at the age of six because she wanted to be more successful in beauty pageants. The documentary also followed the young girl’s trip to a tanning salon to get a fake tan before pageant day. This kind of artificial beauty is gross and teaches children that using unnatural methods to look good is okay. As a result, kids can become obsessed with their looks and making their bodies look perfect, instead of being focused on developing internal values like intelligence, kindness, and selflessness. They can grow up to believe that external beauty matters more than internal beauty.

Beauty pageants can cause eating disorders and issues with body image in girls, as well. Girls who have participated in beauty pageants can be extremely critical of their bodies later in life, because they are so used to scrutinizing their appearance. In an article published in “Psychology Today”, Dr. Martina Cartwright wrote, “Issues with self-identity after a child "retires" from the pageant scene in her teens are not uncommon. Struggles with perfection, dieting, eating disorders and body image can take their toll in adulthood” (Cartwright). Girls need to be taught to love their own bodies, especially these days when the need to be skinny is becoming more and more rampant. Pageants can teach the wrong messages for kids who are not mature enough to understand that the competition is just a competition and in reality being the most attractive is not important.
Competing in pageants as a child can also take a toll on school work. Constantly having to practice for competitions takes time away from focusing on homework and education. Also, thinking about the upcoming competition can be a distraction for kids in school. Dr. Cartwright, who also has experience working as a dietitian for entertainment groups observed that, “When it comes to performing, education takes a backseat” (Cartwright). The same concept applies for pageants. Education should always come first, but this is not the case for many child pageant participants.
In addition, child pageants can take serious chips out of wallets. Pageant costumes on average cost one thousand dollars and prices can go up to five thousand dollars (Agadoni). Entry fees alone cost fifty to five hundred dollars. Sure, there is usually prize money, but it rarely exceeds one thousand dollars, and what are the chances that this money will always be won? All that money could be put to better use. It could be saved for a family vacation and quality bonding time or put towards college funds. Instead, pageant parents waste their money on showing their children off as the “most beautiful”.
Others might argue that child pageants are beneficial because winning the competition can make kids feel really good about themselves, therefore building self-esteem. However, children should not have to parade around wearing loads of makeup and absurd costumes to feel beautiful. Self-esteem and pride should come from personal achievements and not a competition of artificial beauty.
Finally, parents can place too much pressure to perform perfectly on the shoulders of their children. This is stressful and demanding for kids. This is why pageant children often throw fits and tantrums. Also, children who are exposed to so much competitiveness at such a young age can grow up to be sore losers, if parents don’t teach them the right morals. The pressure and competitiveness of a pageant scene are what cause the diva attitudes in young children to develop.
Other nations are already considering abolishing child beauty pageants for the reason that it sexualizes young girls. The chair of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, Dr.Brock, believes, “The sexualisation of children can pose developmental harm and there's not a single good thing that can come out of the "circus" of pageantry” (Park). French lawmakers agree. In a speech to the Senate, Senator Chantal Juoanno stated, “The foundations of equal rights are threatened by the hyper-sexualization that touches children ... between 6 and 12 years old” (Charlton). For this main reason, France is currently taking action to make child beauty pageants illegal. The act has already passed through the Senate and is now being debated in the country’s lower house. The penalty for violation of the new act will be 2 years in prison and a $30,000 fine (Cruz). Because of child beauty pageants, girls are taught at a young age that they are sexual beings. They learn how to strike provocative poses and wear mature costumes. This is taking away the innocence and true meaning of what childhood should be. If other countries are considering the ban, then America should as well.
All in all, the negative effects of these competitions are well-known. Everybody knows that child pageants showcase artificial beauty and cause bad behavioral habits in young children. We sit back and laugh at the ridiculousness of the child pageants that are broadcasted on television, but it must be understood that it is all real. These pageants are really hurting hundreds of children’s futures. So, instead of creating more and more TV shows that touch upon this issue, why don’t we take action to fix it?