Dying to Stop Depression | Teen Ink

Dying to Stop Depression

March 6, 2014
By Kaley Murphy BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
Kaley Murphy BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Depression, a major issue in today’s society is not taken as seriously as it should be. The four different types of depression are linked to serious changes in emotions, thoughts, and actions. Sadness, anger, hopelessness, and guilt can lead to eating disorders, sleep disorders, self-harm, or suicide in severe cases.

Depression should be taken seriously by the public, family and friends of the victim so it does not lead to these consequences. Depression is a very misunderstood mental illness that can occur from neurotransmitter imbalance in the brain. Neurotransmitters control the information from our brain to body, such as how much energy we have, how much we grow, our sleeping patterns, digestion, appetite, our happiness, and self-esteem. When theses neurotransmitters start working to slow or fast, it causes imbalances. These imbalances can happen to anybody at any time. Also, people can develop this illness from genetics, sudden environmental changes, peer pressure, violence, and neglect or trauma. Depression can affect our attitudes, health, and the people around us. 1 in 10 Americans are depressed currently, another reason why depression should not be taken lightly.
A person suffering from depression usually suffers from a major decrease of interest for personal hobbies or sports, anxiety and irrational fears or worries, difficulty concentrating, caring or trying in school, or self-harm, suicide, and preoccupation of death are all symptoms of depression. It is important that if someone you know is suffering from any of these symptoms, to take action so it doesn’t progressively get worse and lead to something serious, like suicide.

Take action by helping a victim of depression by encouraging them to get help, address the person by telling them their symptoms, and why they need help. Tell them that they are loved, and recommend helping services. If the person is having hallucinations, contemplating death, too ill, or too young to get help for themselves, arrange for hospitalization or get help.

To conclude, do not overlook depression. Depression could happen to you. Wouldn’t you want somebody to save you from yourself? Depression is a very serious mental illness that should be given more attention in our society. People should be willing to talk about and seek help when needed.