The Undercover Perks of Being a Girl | Teen Ink

The Undercover Perks of Being a Girl

November 19, 2008
By Tricia Schwartz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Tricia Schwartz BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I know that myself and many others like me, who posses only the x-chromosome, sometimes have the notion that females draw the short end of the genetic stick. A testosterone-saturated life can often appear easier than an existence which requires general knowledge of eyelash curlers, bobby pins, and other such devices. I’m no feminist, but I also won’t abandon my droll “girl power” instincts so easily. Maybe it’s time that ladies take a look at the bright side. In the spirit of all things cliché, I have compiled a catalog of the reasons why, when it comes down to it, life is actually better as a female.


For one, the sheer effectiveness of the eyelash-bat we’ve all, no doubt, perfected is an advantage that our species will forever posses. We’ve also got a ready-made excuse for almost anything with the notorious acronym: PMS. Moreover, I must mention the absolutely hilarious Lifetime channel. The advantages of purses can also not be overlooked. It’s more convenient to not have to sit on top of your wallet, and I, personally, cannot think of a better hiding place than within the mysterious depths of a clutch or tote. Speaking of convenience, lots of times we don’t even have to open doors. Plus, we have an array of underwear choices. We’re not limited to the boxer or brief conundrum, but we could sport a pair of these if we so chose. Try fitting a man into an average pair of Victoria’s Secret panties. Girls may complain about the hassle of shaving, but at least it’s not our face we’re running the razor across. And finally, to end on one last (scientifically proven) note: females have a longer life expectancy. Hooray.