Unrealistic Body Images | Teen Ink

Unrealistic Body Images

By Zion Singh BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
Zion Singh BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii

Skinny doesn’t mean beautiful.Too many young women are affected by unrealistic images set by the media.The best way to solve this is to make it so companies can only show models who have a healthy weight and aren’t photoshopped.

Lots of companies try to show what “real beauty” is and they’re wrong. The fashion industry thinks that being really skinny and having no flaws is what sells “real beauty” but the cliche is true: “ beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. So many companies do it that people just think it’s is a normal. Not everyone realizes the effect that all these “beautiful” models have on women and girls .

There are so many negative effects that these advertisements have.  Women are much more likely than men to develop an eating disorder. According to Anad.org only an estimated 5 to 15 percent of people with anorexia or bulimia are male. About 25% of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight-management technique. In a survey of 185 female students on a college campus, 58% felt pressure to be a certain weight, and of the 83% that dieted for weight loss, 44% were of normal weight. A personal experience I had with this was one time I was walking to class and overheard a girl saying she was going to starve herself because she over 95 pounds and she was 7th grader.

Now you see why big companies should stop showing unnaturally skinny women. The best solution would be to have a law that says companies can only show models who have a healthy weight and aren’t photoshopped.