The Study Drug | Teen Ink

The Study Drug

“Pills that can help me ace the ACT? No way! Of course I’ll buy some!”

Adderall and other amphetamines such as Concerta, Vyvanse, Ritalin, Focalin, and Strattera are now emerging as “study drugs” in schools and businesses. Medications such as these are prescribed to patients with ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

The use of amphetamines for focusing and enhanced performance started in the 1950’s through nasal decongestants. Amphetamines enhance focus, performance, and productivity. The military gives given Adderall or “Go Pills” to fighter pilots to enhance their performance. These pills are modern day legal steroids with little or no long term side affects.
Having the medication without a prescription is a felony in most states, yet the sales in schools continue to skyrocket. Adderall became the drug of choice when Ritalin became outdated due to heavy side affects. This is due to the abundance of the drug and the number of prescriptions given out for Adderall. It is relatively easy to acquire a prescription for an amphetamine drug in the United States. All one has to do is walk in to his or her doctor’s office and say they have trouble concentrating.

Patients report being able to focus much better; they feel as though they are working with blinders on. Random thoughts and distractions seem to disappear temporarily. The downside to this is that it can stunt creativity and cause confusion. Multitasking can be nearly impossible to do and when medications such as Adderall wear off there is a crashing effect. Headaches and irritation are not uncommon. Sleep patterns waver and tempers rise, along with increased sweating due to stimulants.

The media doesn’t cover this craze closely at all and it is starting to get out of hand. Because the drug has no side affects and is not highly addictive it is thought to be acceptable in teens especially. Adderall is overused but has a positive result on society. The FDA should consider making Adderall an over-the-counter drug. The government makes more money and workers become more productive. How is that a bad thing?

avaavez BRONZE said...
avaavez BRONZE, Oullaville, Indiana
Oh, this is a good one! “…the drug has no side affects and is not highly addictive.” I certainly agree that the drug, Adderall, should become an over-the-counter drug, since it’s so accessible as it is, and it would “Mak[e] [the government] more money and workers [would] become more productive.” However, I would not take the drug myself.