Immigration in Europe | Teen Ink

Immigration in Europe

By LuisaLima GOLD, Aveiro, Other
LuisaLima GOLD, Aveiro, Other

"Sometimes we have to shake the tree of friendships to make the rotten ones fall"

The immigration affair appears to be a highly controversial topic, especially in today's world. As a consequence, it seems to be generating a whole set of contrasting opinions - could Europe allow itself to bar immigrants? Should Europe prohibit and close down borders, like some countries do?

This is a problem that needs to be handled; however, how to do so without diminishing these sufferers' lives? Because that is what they are. ''They'' could mean ''us'', if we did not live in a civilized, democratic and free country. These people choose to risk it all; it is not about a dream anymore - for them, it is a matter of life and death. Hence, how could any country choose to close their borders?

Primarily, I am convinced that closing borders would create a hurtful boomerang effect - illegal immigration would increase and there would be a lack of control, putting at a bigger risk the lives of those who did not have a say in their lives - and would only enhance the social disparities that are present among European countries. The outcome? More people smuggled, more risks, more deaths.

Secondly, we have to "think global to act local" - to ensure that these immigrants (which in reality many should be referred as refugees and are not) will have the necessary conditions to pursue a new life in the country that shelters them. It is crucial that countries create the necessary mechanisms, in order to give them a place in the society, because if a man is working, he has buying power, he is paying taxes, he is helping the economy.

To conclude, I believe borders should be kept open, however, policies regarding this issue should be analyzed and oriented to achieve a more sustainable future. We should never block someone's hopes and dreams with economic claims. We the people, made this world - a world made of immigrants. Ourselves, our parents, our grandparents... Thus, how could we ever believe we are entitled to decide who enters and who does not? Or, in other words, who is worthy of our help and who isn't?

Immigrant or not, a person is still a person. It is vital that we change our views about immigration.