Defining Ourselves | Teen Ink

Defining Ourselves

Do you ever find yourself dissatisfied by the low number of likes on your latest post on Instagram? Or feel jealous of your peers who have a greater number of favorites on their tweet? If you answered yes, you are one of many people who equate their worth to the attention received on social media profiles. Recent studies at the University of Salford show that 50% of 298 people claimed that sites like Facebook and Twitter is ruining their lives. So caught up in creating a seemingly perfect profile on social media, people have often forgotten to relish their lives outside of the screen. Individuals develop a distorted meaning of self-worth as they compare themselves to what they and others appear to be on the internet.

Social media is damaging to one’s self-worth by providing a chance for people to view the flawless accounts of others and feel insecure about their own looks, traits or lives. Sites like Instagram and Tumblr showcase many beautiful models whose pictures may be photo shopped or heavily edited. These pictures, all receiving ten thousand or more likes, cause some users to feel inferior or intimidated. Sarah, a woman interviewed by Cosmopolitan Magazine reports “Instagram has definitely lowered my self-esteem...you can’t help comparing yourself to some of the unattainable images you see on your Instagram feed.” Many social media users, especially girls, can empathize with Sarah as they are accustomed to the inevitable pressure they feel to be “perfect”.  In addition, the options of filters and different exotic editing apps give users opportunities to reveal themselves in a way that may not reflect their true beings. The unfortunate trend of attempting to portray your life as “perfect” online, makes people value a superficial aspects of themselves.

“Seeing my posts lingering on my timeline with just a handful of likes was painful, at least for me. It made me feel unworthy, as if no one liked me”, proclaims Martina Weiss, a lifestyle blogger and social media user. Weiss calls to mind a concern that provokes the minds of many and one that greatly affects one’s self-esteem. Having a low number of likes or favorites can cause  people to feel self-conscious about what they chose to display, whether it's a selfie, or a status about their special achievements. Feelings like this, worsen your self-worth because you are allowing others’ to dictate your happiness for your accomplishments. As a fellow teen, and one who has social media, I can recall times when I would delete certain posts because they didn't receive as many likes and comments as I would prefer. My self-image became partially dependent on the opinions of my peers whom I sought to impress.

On the contrary, people have reported gaining confidence through the kind affection and responses they receive on their profiles. University of Pittsburgh found that some users “tend to experience an increase in self-esteem when browsing social networks and afterwards display less self-control”. When met with loads of recognition and adoration online, people tend to feel loved and more self-secure with themselves. However, this trend sparks temporary happiness for the users because their confidence is solely rested on the responses of their friends or followers which is not always guaranteed to be supportive. Moreover, valuing comments and likes causes people to focus on shallow ideals rather than the more precious ones in their personal life.

Recognizing the negative effects of social media is the first step in ensuring a more happier life for ourselves. Being conscious is important, but it is necessary to take actions to preserve your sense of self-worth. Essena Oneill is a famous Instagram model who recently quit social media because she felt that it was fake and promoted false morals. A girl of only 18 years, she has to leave her career because of the emotional anxiety she experienced through the pressures of society. It is a pity that such a young woman is being stripped of her individuality for the appreciation of others. It came to the point where even she didn't know who she was anymore; her self-image wasn't a priority. She often had to sexualize herself or photoshop her images just for likes, spoiling the true beauty of self-expression. Whether we choose to abandon social media altogether like Essena, or just attempt to spend less time online, we will strengthen our own mental health and self-perception. It is important that we don't alter the friendly purpose of these social sites which was meant to rekindle friendships and share memories.

Social media, which was intended to provide an opportunity for people to connect, has turned into a place where insecurities and inferiorities arise. We have become a generation who lets ourselves define self-worth by merely a number on a post. We have grown comfortable with tearing ourselves down when we see unrealistic images of peers. The challenge lies in your hand, to utilize social media in way which promotes a positive self-esteem and does not destroy what matters most; life beyond the screen.

This was inspired by the growing trend of defining ones' self-worth to social media profiles.