Have We Really Forgotten Our Grammar? | Teen Ink

Have We Really Forgotten Our Grammar?

By alainakieckhefer BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky
alainakieckhefer BRONZE, Lexington, Kentucky

According to Jennifer Brannock Cox [1], there are over 3 billion social media accounts on just 4 social media sites. That’s almost half of the world. Try to think of 3 billion people you know (you can’t). Social media has been around for a while now, and each day millions of new people join. It has for sure changed some things for the better.

However, social media has changed things for the better. It gives us a variety of ways to communicate our ideas to others. No matter what that idea may be, it takes just a press of a button to show it to the world. This has been a positive impact on the social media world ever since the beginning, really. There are endless possibilities of ways to get your ideas across, such as putting ads out [2], posting YouTube videos, or even just tweeting about it.

However, some say that teens share too much online [3]. Nathan Miller continues to say that teens shouldn’t share their ideas because at least one person will say something negative about it, so overall it’s not worth it. But I think they shouldn’t be shut down so quickly. I think it’s great when people share their ideas and thoughts online. If someone has negative remarks, then the person who originally posted it can simply block them and delete the comment. No one should let some troll on the internet ruin their day.

Social media can definitely make relationships stronger. It gives us constant access to our friends and family. Even if it’s over social media, we are still able to talk to our loved ones anytime and about anything. It has not replaced face to face communication. If anything, it has added volume of contact to it [4].  Many feel closer to someone if they are texting or calling them every day, and talking to them in person.

People on social media type with a lot of abbreviations and words that they wouldn’t use in an essay. There’s no problem with not using proper grammar on tweets or abbreviating everything over texts, because no one is grading you on your grammar there. As long as you know not to write “lol” on an essay, I don’t think you’re hurting anyone. Many think that grammar is slowly becoming less and less important, which isn’t true. The new “hip” talk makes for great journaling [5] because it applies to more people.

I’m a 15 year old girl who has 4 social media accounts. I know what it’s like on them, and I know it isn’t this awful place some people put it out to be. It’s a nice environment to be on and no matter what anyone says, there are plenty of nice people on there. If you come across someone who’s not, block them. So I say there’s no problem with making a social media account, as long as you’re not the one causing the trouble.