What Matters Most? | Teen Ink

What Matters Most?

By ixchelcs BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
ixchelcs BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Imagine you are in Italy. Wonderful, massive buildings surrounding you, eating at a fancy restaurant on the corner of your favorite street. You recall the sights you saw today and are about to open your mouth to share, but you look forward and see an empty chair. You realize you are alone. You have no one to share with what you did today. All you can do is push your food on the plate from one side to another, and hear nothing but silence. There are many assets money cannot buy. Experiences that do not have a price, that have value to them. Love. Morals. Manners. Respect. Trust, Integrity. Lessons people learn as life goes on, not something they buy. Money cannot buy happiness because it does not buy one’s emotional well being, family, and social interaction.

To begin with, one’s emotional stability is something money cannot buy. Emotional stability is a person’s ability to remain calm or even keel when faced with pressure or stress. People all around the world do not have a lot, yet still seem happier than people who make a lot of money (Schulten). Happiness does not depend on how much money one makes. Many people in the world who do not have as much, being happier than those who do, proves negative emotions can happen to those who are wealthy as well. Therefore money cannot buy how one is feeling. Next, the negative emotions come from how a person judges themselves and their life, instead of the emotions one experiences (Fahey). Therefore it does not matter if a person makes a lot of money because there will always be someone who makes more. People will always compare themselves to that person leading to emotional instability like being stressed. Others tend to put pressure on themselves. So much so they do things that do not make them happy because they think there will be a bigger reward or more points in the end (Stafford).  People are doing things that they really do not want to do because they think it is what is expected. They think they need to make money. It causes unhappiness which could be avoided if people started to do thing that made them emotionally happy. Some critics may say that not having enough money makes one stressed out. That not being able to afford the basic necessities makes one have a lot of pressure. But it is not about not having money. It is about what people think their lives should be. They have expectations that they should have a lot of money, so people push themselves. They push themselves so hard that they become unhappy (Schulten). That is what causes a person’s negative emotions like stress. Overall, one’s emotional confront can depend on many different things.

Next, family is another example of something money cannot buy. If one earn lots of money one can never buy the closeness and the intimacy which is supposed to be there among the family members (Singh). An object such as money cannot replace the support family gives one. Furthermore, people need to understand the importance of having someone by one’s side at all times like family. Dr, Garcia said, “'But even if we as individuals can understand the importance of close and warm relationships on a social level, it is{not} certain that everyone is aware that such relationships are actually necessary for our own personal happiness'” (Garcia).  Relationships help one have a close bond with someone. That is something money cannot buy because it affects the heart. Therefore if everything else is equal between two families except their bank accounts the "poorer" family is happier (Yochim). If there are two families where qualities are the same except for how much money one has, the poorer family is happier. Critics say having more money will make it easier for people to support their family. Yet, family will always be there for one even when money is not. The foundation for a happy family is love (Vidyarthi). It does not take money for family to be together. Therefore money can never replace family because it is not something money can buy.

Finally, socially being able to interact with people is an asset money cannot buy.  Dr Danilo Garcia, a researcher at the Sahlgrenska Academy's Centre for Ethics said: “It{is} relationships that are most important, not material things, and this is in line with other findings in happiness research” (Garcia). Friends are what are important because they give one so many lessons like teaching one how to trust and give a bond that is unbreakable. Money cannot buy friends. Furthermore, objects that money can buy like cell phones do not give a person any benefits in the long run. Psychologist Emily Bianchi found that children and adults who were raised with less money were less likely to grow up narcissistic (Williams). People who grow up with less money are more able to make friends because they are less likely to think of themselves as better or being above them. They are more friendly.  A San Francisco study found that people were not happy even after purchasing something materialistic (Hiscott).  People who are money orientated are not happy after buying objects because they do not do anything to benefit what type of person one is. Others say money can get one into social gatherings. That one has all this money and is looked up to. Having an abundance of money does not help because one might attract greedy friends and family because of money (Vidyarthi). The reputation of having fancy items attracts fake friends. They may only be friends with one because they want to get ahead in the game. Therefore, people can never trust who their true friends are when having a lot of money All in all, money does not matter when relating to socializing.

As proven, people should stop worrying about money. It is not beneficial in the long run because it cannot buy one’s emotional well being, the feeling of family, and the ability to interact with others and oneself.  If they keep worrying about how much money they have instead of happiness, then the world in 20 years will not be the same. People will be self centered and lonely which could lead to depression or death. So many people think money is what is most important. They stress about it, think their whole lives depend on how much much one makes, or has. But it is not. If people stopped worrying about how much money they have, they could become a happier person overall, become more family oriented, and become more social. People need to change and start caring about what brings them joy in life. Go out and do something that makes you happy and do not worry about the cost. Just live life.

Works Cited

Fahey, Mark. "Money Can Buy Happiness, but Only to a Point." CNBC. CNBC, 14 Dec. 2015.
Web. 21 Apr. 2016.
.
Hiscott, Rebecca. "Materialistic People Are Less Happy Than Everyone Else: Science." The
Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 2014. Web. 21 Apr. 2016.
.
Leonhardt, David. "Maybe Money Does Buy Happiness After All." The New York Times. The
New York Times, 15 Apr. 2008. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
.
Reporter, Daily Mail. "Money DOESN'T Buy Happiness: How Friends and Family - Not Flashy
Possessions - Bring True Contentment." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 08 Oct. 2013. Web. 21 Apr. 2016. .
Schulten, Katherine. "Can Money Buy You Happiness?" The Learning Network Can Money Buy
You Happiness Comments. New York Times Company, 2010. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
.
Singh, Aashima. "Top 10 Important Things That Money Can't Buy - ListCrux." ListCrux.
ListCrux, 16  Aug. 2015. Web. 25 Apr. 2016. .
Stafford, Tom. "Why Money Can't Buy You Happiness." BBC. BBC, 2013. Web. 21 Apr. 2016.
.

Vidyarthi, Kavya. "Top 12 Important Things Money Can't Buy - Listovative." Listovative.
Listovative, 28 Nov. 2015. Web. 21 Apr. 2016.
.
Williams, Geoff. "Can Money Buy Us Happiness?" US News RSS. US News, 19 Feb. 2015. Web.
21 Apr. 2016. .
Yochim, Dayana. "Why Rich People Really Aren't Happier." Why Rich People Really Aren't
Happier. The Motley Fool, 2004. Web. 21 Apr. 2016.
.