Pain | Teen Ink

Pain

By DreamLoveBelieve BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
DreamLoveBelieve BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
Harriet Tubman

Many adults can easily recall the times when bullying was on a different level. Most bullying back in the 20th century was physical, and, most of the time, didn't get very serious.
Today, in the 21st century, things have drastically changed. A new kind of pain has arisen and become extremely popular--mental pain. Especially with the use of text messaging, teens have used harsh language to hurt others. This type of pain can be so painful that numerous teens have commit sucide because they just can't take the suffering.
Mental pain and physical pain are two totally different things. Physical pain shows greatly, and people unconsciously give more sympathy to this kind of pain, possibly because it is visible. But mental pain?--this type of pain hurts much more,there is (unfortunately)no cure, and nobody can see it nor give much sympathy unless one really speaks out.
Honestly, I think there should be a self-defense class that builds self-confidence in teenagers and teaches them how to talk back to their peers and, especially at the time when their minds are still fragile and sensitive, to not take what others say personally.