Whippings or Words? | Teen Ink

Whippings or Words?

April 4, 2009
By firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
firstsnowfalls DIAMOND, Marcellus, New York
51 articles 6 photos 105 comments

I could never understand why punishments were dished out to children in lieu of unacceptable behavior. Are children expected to be happier, friendlier, and more respectful because they aren’t allowed to hang out with their friends or use the computer? After all, if one improves their behavior after such punishments, lectures, or threats of punishment, they are not showing a change of heart. They are simply demonstrating that they want to be able to socialize with friends, or rid themselves of whatever punishment bestowed on them.

I believe that children only learn from gentle teachings and good examples set by their parents or other role models in their lives. Children are much more apt to understand words than to understand why they were spanked. All people have an innate sense of respect, and children will likely listen to their parents. It is only when they feel that they are being treated unfairly that they begin to lose respect for their parents.


Also, children should always be made to understand why their parents are upset with them, and to allow for discussion, because sometimes they don’t understand what they’ve done wrong, or had reason for acting the way they did. It is okay for a parent to admit a fault and apologize for it, a rare occurrence in many households. If children see that their parents, too, make mistakes, but can apologize for them, they are much more likely to follow suit.