School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms

By LillianRoseberry PLATINUM, Manly, Iowa
LillianRoseberry PLATINUM, Manly, Iowa

Many private schools have uniforms, but very little public schools do. One in five US public schools required students to wear uniforms during the 2013-2014 school year, up from one in eight in 2003-2004 (Robertson, 12). Some say that school uniforms take away their right to individualize and express themselves. Opposite sides argue that uniforms in schools create conformity or a more unison-looking group. School uniforms should be banned because it takes away a student’s creativity and freedom of expression.

Some say that school uniforms take away their right to individualize and express themselves. Student’s have the right to wear what they want to show who they are. Who should be able to take that away from them? Nobody should, especially schools because if anybody it should be the parents, and they should have a good reason. Student’s have a style, and it’s hard to show who you are if you’re forced to wear what the schools allow. School uniforms should not be in any school.

One in five US public schools required students to wear uniforms during the 2013-2014 school year, up from one in eight in 2003-2004 (Robertson, 12). I can understand private schools possibly wanting uniforms, they are a more formal school. Also, it’s a choice to go to private school, you are not forced to go to them. Public schools, however,  should not have uniforms. They are a public school, open for anybody free of cost. They accept everybody, not everyone is religious or can afford school uniforms. Regular clothes can be cheaper, as they can be given and hand-me-downs, or in local thrift stores. School uniforms can be up to 30$ for a pair of pants, not counting the shirt, skirt, tie, etc. Uniforms are not necessary.         

`
Some believe that school uniforms could add formality to classrooms, because other clothes may be distracting or in some cases may create different upsets. Having uniforms could add a more formal look, but it also takes away the student’s ability to express themselves. As Principal Cora, whose school does not have uniforms, stated, “students do not need a specific attire to be polite and show formality in the classrooms.” This proves that the clothes the students wear do not always affect the student’s learning or how formal they are. Why should schools get uniforms when maybe all that needs to change are outside factors?

Some believe that school uniforms could add formality to classrooms, because other clothes may be distracting or in some cases may create different upsets. Nobody should be able to take away the right for someone to show who they really are. Student’s have individual rights to show their true colors and express themselves.As stated in paragraph two, school uniforms are not necessary, are hard to afford for some families, and should not be in public school systems. Some believe that school uniforms could add formality to classrooms, because other clothes may be distracting or in some cases may create different upsets.  Do you want your child to have to go through the hassle?