This Is Me, And I Am Not Ashamed | Teen Ink

This Is Me, And I Am Not Ashamed

By lc108286 BRONZE, Hemet, California
lc108286 BRONZE, Hemet, California

The word religion is not one I like to use. Religion is a practice, a routine, something that, to me, has no meaning. To me, it is a relationship I have established with God, not a religion. My belief in God has been a major personal part of my life that, until a few months ago, I didn’t want to embrace as a part of my life. Ever since I was a little girl, I have been going to church throughout the week and maybe that is why my belief is so strong. I have learned to embrace this in my life despite the people who tend to speak so negatively about it, but isn’t everyone entitled to their own beliefs? I was always different from a crowd, my tendency to only wear dresses and skirts because of what I believe, intends to do that to you. Making new friends always consists of the same question, “why do you only wear dresses?” my response used to be that my parents made me wear it because of my religion. Everything is different now though because I’ve embraced what I believe in and that to me has me at peace. When people ask me that question I now say, “I wear what I wear to represent what I believe in, it’s a part of me.” It can be hard to present a part of yourself to the world that you used to want to keep a secret because many try to change who you are. I’ve had situations where friends pressured me into wearing jeans or shorts when I didn’t want to, but I did it because I wanted to please others instead of pleasing myself. Even now, that I tell them why I dress the way I dress, they still tend to say that they want to see me in other clothing wear but I know that they don’t mean bad intentions. I like the way I am now, I don’t want to change something that I hold close and dear to me. I am an Evangelist Christian and I’m not ashamed.

This piece that I wrote is something that was very personal to me but I wanted to write this because it represents a part of me and I don't want to hide from it anymore.