Not Just Because, Just Believe | Teen Ink

Not Just Because, Just Believe

By Shells SILVER, Dixon, Wyoming
Shells SILVER, Dixon, Wyoming

“The dye has been cast. The decision has been made. I have stepped over the line. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, or back away. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future secure. I’m done with low living, sight walking, small planning, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living and dwarfed goals: I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, positions, promotions, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, live by prayer and labor with power. My face is set, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won’t give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and spoken up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of the lord Jesus Christ.” - African martyred for Christ.

She looked down at the limp teddy bear in her hands. The sweet toy stared up at her with black button eyes and an unfading smile. A patch marked the bears chest, over it’s “heart”, where it had been worn through by five years of constant love. The right ear was permanently deformed from five years of being gripped tightly by a tiny toddler hand as it was dragged from place to place, never once being laid to rest in a corner as the other stuffed animals.
The distant sound of a child’s scream shattered her heart, bringing her world to a stand still as she allowed herself to be overtaken by her grief. Her baby was gone from her. All she had left of him was the tattered teddy bear, such a small reminder of such a precious life, taken away too early. Five sweet and tender years, the lifeless bear in her hands held every moment in its blank button eye stare. Short and sweet. His life was surly that. The young mother found herself struggling with not knowing the answer to her question of why?

Though asked by every person in the world at some point or another, it has never received an answer that has put the familiar question to rest. Though many will say “because…“, not every one will agree, or understand the because. It is an impossible question to understand the answer to, yet a simple one to answer. If you can believe. Believe. The power to wash away grief, to smile again, to hope again, to dance again. To live again.
There is a world. We know this is true. Why? Because, we can see it and feel it. There is a beginning, a middle, and an end. There is no way to deny this. Why? Because we can see as a new life comes into this world, we can watch as this life grows, and later, we can watch as this life ends. There is pain in this world. This everyone knows. Why? Because everyone has felt it in some way or another. See plus feel equals believe.
We tend to be a stubborn people. where we cannot believe something unless we can see it or feel it, because then it is not impossible to us anymore. Because by feeling it and seeing it, we have proved it. As simple as that. Where is faith? Faith, is the substance of thing hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.
We question. We wonder. And yet, the answers are always so simple. We only complicate them with our questions. Can’t we just let it be simple and just…believe?
God. How can He be real? We can not see Him, cannot feel Him. But the world, that we know is real, (because), we can see it, and the pain, the love, and the joy, of this life we can feel. Where does it come from? There is an answer for this question. Will you believe it? Probably not. Why? Because, you cannot see it, you cannot feel it. Or, maybe it is only because you have not chosen to see it, have not chosen to feel it. Simply, ignored it. Have not believed. Did not have faith. Both unseen. But both are felt.
The Mona Lisa. How do we know that it was painted by a man named Leonardo de Vinci. Or that, it even had a painter? Couldn’t it have just become, just as, (some of have said), the world just became? Perhaps. But that is a very difficult thing to believe, now, isn’t it? And, if I said that this was what I believed, then you would probably laugh, roll your eyes, and probably never finish this. But don’t worry, because I don’t believe that. I believe, that the Mona Lisa had a painter, just as the world has a creator. How do we know that the Mona Lisa had a painter, and that it was Leonardo de Vinci? Because, we can read this all over, on the internet, in history books, some art books…ect. How do we know that the world was created, and that it was created by God? The same way that we know the Mona Lisa was painted, and indeed was painted by Leonardo de Vinci.
How can we really deny it? Even if you are blind. You can still feel it. In your heart when you love, laugh, cry. On your face when the wind blows. With your hands as you feel a loved one’s face. So really, and truly, in the end, it is impossible to deny, (though I know you will), God. Why? I ask now. Won’t you believe, have faith, accept, what is so easy. It’s going to be impossible to see the forest through the trees if you choose to make it so. Just stop. Don’t make it complicated. Don’t question. Breath. Listen. See. Believe…simply, fall into the arms of faith.
Why? God. Is there a better answer? There is an artist behind every single masterpiece. There is a writer behind every story, poem, song, ect. And, there is also, just as sure as there is a writer or artist for ever work of art, there is a God for the wonderful masterpiece called sunset, mountain, sky, sun, smile, eyes, meadow, stream, lake, snow, world. Why? Can’t you believe? Is it so impossible? So hard? To much to ask?
My simple answer for the complicated why?, is, faith, believe, God. What is your answer? Is it for reason, or just because?

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
Again on the subject of persecution, what is it about having people disagreeing with you that is inherently Christian? I'd say that's more of a human experience than a religious one. I get yelled at all the time for my beliefs, especially when I put them out there as you have. Television evangelists won't stop nagging about what a hopeless wreck I am supposedly, conservative politicians won't stop telling me I'm unpatriotic, pro-lifers follow me just to scream in anger(how very-very Christ -like of them) about what kind of murder and filth I am, and I'm apparently fag that god hates for supporting gay rights. Talk to the founders of the Freedom From Religion Foundation and ask them how many death threats they've gotten. Go look up some statistics on how many people trust Muslims in the US. About the amount of gay hate crimes. Why is it, per say, that you feel the need to point out that it's CHRISTIANS that get persecuted, when everyone is?

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
You say your article is to state the fact that god exists, when in reality your article has done nothing in the way of proving such. You act as if Christians are the most persecuted people, when in reality this is clearly not so. We live in a country where Christians are the majority after all. You don't think Muslims get bad looks? Atheists? Wiccans? Hindus? Pagans? As for being ignorant, we can both say over and over back and forth that the other is ignorant, but that would get us no where. You define ignorance as believing that the world simply is, then go on to say that awareness is accepting it has a beginning. As an atheist, I accept later. As far as I am concerned, this world was formed through a sequence of events, the beginning of which simply existed. The only difference between my thoughts concerning origin and your thoughts concerning origin are that you believe it was started with a deity, while I believe it began with matter/energy. As for faith, having faith in something does not necessarily mean it will be so. Many have faith that does not succeed. That's why we have disappointment. Claiming that having faith that something will happen is evidence that it will happen is just ridiculous. As far as your superiority complex goes, you're never going to get anywhere if you continue to attempt to convince people with that attitude. A conversation is a two way street. I can attest that one thing non-believers hate the most about some Christians is that they refuse to acknowledge(even for the sake of civil discussion), that the other side could be right. We are not treated as equals, and thus our defensive position becomes and aggressive one. But, why should I expect you to understand this. You don't care about other people's opinions. All you care about is spreading your own. I see it in you and I see it in so many others. I see it in the mirror when I wake up in the morning, remembering what I used to be and I hate myself for it.

Shells SILVER said...
Shells SILVER, Dixon, Wyoming

I don't think that ignoring something you dislike will make it go away. That's not even what my article is about. My article was to state the fact that God is real. Being a Christian, (which you should know a little bit about), is not about ignoring reality. It's about putting your faith in God, and overcoming fear, pain, ect. God is my Heavenly Father, and just as a child afraid of the dark will turn to it‘s parents for strength and comfort, being a Christian, I simply turn to God when I'm afraid, I don't ignore the problem, just look to God for strength and comfort during whatever struggle I go through.

Being a Christian isn't being ignorant to reality. I think as a Christian, I’m so much more aware of reality. And being a Christian, reality hits your hard. God is reality. Being looked at as different because of believing in God, is apart of reality. I’m not going to be liked by most, I’m going to get ridiculed, and if I put God in what I write, then most likely I will get comments that don’t exactly leave me feeling amazed and overjoyed. Reality is, I won’t let the world get me down, I will strive to give God my all, and get through each struggle, knowing He is holding me always. Reality is that I’m not denying that the world was created by God. Being ignorant of reality would be simply saying that this world simply is. Not denying that this world needed to have had a beginning, and needed to have been created by a God so much bigger then us.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1) I’m hoping that my writing will reach at least one heart. My faith that it will is the substance of my hopes, because with out faith, my hopes for this reaching someone would just be a dead hope, but with faith it gives life to my hopes, and faith is the evidence of what I am hoping for. Because, hoping that my writing will touch at least one person, my having faith that it will is the evidence that it will. But you can’t understand this unless you believe. So I’m probably just wasting my time writing all of this down, but if I didn’t reply, then you would think that I’m offended or that I just can’t answer you. But I can. You just won’t agree.

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
A few other very important questions I forgot to ask:

Do you believe ignoring something you dislike makes it go away? Do you believe it is better not to concern ourselves with these things? What do you think the effect this would have had on racism, if people had taken this stance? Don't question it, this is the way things are, because I said so? Why should one believe what another says without evidence?

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
I might also note that I am a former Christian and am currently much happier as a agnostic atheist.

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
A few questions and statements:

Why should one delude one's-self into believing something that is pleasant, merely because it is pleasant, as you seem to suggest in your fourth paragraph? Is it not more responsible to take in reality honestly? As for faith, it is not evidence for things unseen. Many have faith in a variety of things, often which conflict with the faith of others. How is it that faith is a valid form of evidence, while much of this "evidence" openly contradicts other "evidence"? As for simple, since when has simplicity ever been inherently superior to complexity? We do not live in a simple world, why would the answers therein' be simple? Pain, love, and joy are evidence for feelings, emotion. None of these are evidence for your supposed deity. The problem with comparing the Mona Lisa to the universe as created works, is that one must begin with the assumption that there is nothing that does not have a creator, thus with the assumption one already begins with the conclusion of deity before it is met. Your begin with the premise that it is indeed a creation(which, in itself, has the premise of a creator, as something cannot be a creation without a creator) rather than beginning with the premise that it exists and coming to the conclusion that it was created. In short, your argument is fallacious in that it is circular(the premise is dependent upon the conclusion, which is dependent upon the premise). As for that, would not such imply that your supposed deity has a creator as well? Why is it that such a being and simply exist, but the universe cannot? Why is it so hard for you to not complicate things with a creator? Why can the universe not be a logical sequence of events? It's so easy. Can't you believe? Is it so impossible? So hard? Too much to ask? See what I did there? It's easy to turn such questions around, they don't have much firmness at all. Speaking of easy, why should we accept something, simply because it is easy to do so? Easy not the equivalent of correct. It never has been and never will be. As far as I'm concerned, you haven't answered the question sufficiently at all. Why should I believe? Why be dishonest? Why blind myself? Is this the moral thing to do?

Shells SILVER said...
Shells SILVER, Dixon, Wyoming

All thanks to God!=) Your comment means so much, thank you. I hope that some day your friend will be able to beleive. Just got to keep praying. God answers prayers. =)

Yizzie said...
Thank you for this. Really, I really mean it. I was just in a conversation with my friend who said he couldn't believe because he couldn't see it or felt it. I was so upset after it, that I stumbled on this and It shined a light. Thank you so much. =]

Shells SILVER said...
Shells SILVER, Dixon, Wyoming

Hey! Thanks so much for your comment. Having a hard day, but your comment on my work really made me smile and has put some sunshine in my cloudy day. Thanks so much.

...are you a Christian? =)

Hollywog. PLATINUM, Mole Creek, Other

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all..

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Ghandi

Congratualtions on this piece of writing - it is so powerful and incredible.

The things you bring up in this are totally legit. You have made me think about things and that is truly an amazing thing.

Well done =)

xx